Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Without setting people against people - 95/99S comparison

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    As stated previously in this thread, the 95 really is the better gun, if it wasnt for the too long stroke.
    But regardless of the problematic cocking lever, the 99/50 really has a too short stroke.

If someone made and sold short stroke pistons for the 95, the problem would be solved.
    But how long would we want the stroke to be? somewhere between 75 and 80 mm?
    For UK "legal limit power" the 99's stroke seems fine, evert, and many people are pleasantly surprised with its excellent manners. Although many would aim at no more than 10.5 to 10.7 with a .177. Having said that I have shot out of the box .177s doing over 11 very happily and sweetly. When fitting nose extensions to the 95, I think most people go in the region of 8 to 12mm.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    If they built the modern day 50/99 like a scaled down 80, with a single piece under arm, and cocking shoe, along with screw in back block, it would be very nice indeed.
    So, a bit like a short stroke 95 with screw-in block. Now that would be nirvana. Doubt it would ever happen, but we could live in hope.

If budget allowed (and sorry for deviating away from the 95 and 99), the ultimate hybrids from currently available guns would be sleeved down versions of the 35 and 80. Obviously done before with the Venom Lazaglides / V-Mach V-Glide and by our skilled home tuners. Lovely, lightweight internals married to the heavier weights and solid build giving a very benign cycle. Short stroke versions of the 80, even at 30mm bore, can also work sublimely. And the later 35 with the synthetic seal (or earlier version fitted with later piston and suitably tweaked) can also shoot very, very nicely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    So, a bit like a short stroke 95 with screw-in block. Now that would be nirvana. Doubt it would ever happen, but we could live in hope.

If budget allowed (and sorry for deviating away from the 95 and 99), the ultimate hybrids from currently available guns would be sleeved down versions of the 35 and 80. Obviously done before with the Venom Lazaglides / V-Mach V-Glide and by our skilled home tuners. Lovely, lightweight internals married to the heavier weights and solid build giving a very benign cycle. Short stroke versions of the 80, even at 30mm bore, can also work sublimely. And the later 35 with the synthetic seal (or earlier version fitted with later piston and suitably tweaked) can also shoot very, very nicely.
    Yes, that's the other way of looking at it!
    As you say, it's not gonna happen...... More's the pity.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    For UK "legal limit power" the 99's stroke seems fine, evert, and many people are pleasantly surprised with its excellent manners. Although many would aim at no more than 10.5 to 10.7 with a .177. Having said that I have shot out of the box .177s doing over 11 very happily and sweetly. When fitting nose extensions to the 95, I think most people go in the region of 8 to 12mm.
    The 50/99 in .177" is still a bit too snappy for me, even at 10,5- I'd like a bit more stroke to soften it up.

Still looking for 26mm OD tube to make a 95 piston ;-)
    Too many airguns!

The 50/99 in .177" is still a bit too snappy for me, even at 10,5- I'd like a bit more stroke to soften it up.

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...51#post8135051

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Early 95s had the cutaway 85 piston Tone --- Weihrauch using up old stock ?

None of my 85s appear to have chewed the cylinders up but a bearing would sort it if it did become a problem.
    Tiles belong in kitchens, bathrooms and massage parlours (a friend told me ) not holding back blocks in guns.

All the best Mick
    Yep you right Mick on the early 95 and the cut out pistons of the 85.. I have had a few early ones with the cut out 85 piston.

.)

Maybe I should get a new piston to modify, would be interesting to see how it performs.
    Guess the modern HW pistons are quite hard, and perhaps difficult to machine with HSS tools?
    Still, theres that lever.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by prosport.177 View Post
    Yep you right Mick on the early 95 and the cut out pistons of the 85.. I have had a few early ones with the cut out 85 piston.

.)
    Excellent further info, Charlie. I'll have to check out the serial number on mine to see how "early" it actually is. And thanks again, Mick, for pointing this out.

Guess the modern HW pistons are quite hard, and perhaps difficult to machine with HSS tools?
    Still, theres that lever.
    The only hard part of a HW piston appears to be the trigger end of the latchrod from my findings, Evert.

Having said that, I'll drag a needle file across a late 97 piston just to check and get back to you.

All the best Mick

What an excellent engagement, and great information. Thank you.

The only hard part of a HW piston appears to be the trigger end of the latchrod from my findings, Evert.

Having said that, I'll drag a needle file across a late 97 piston just to check and get back to you.

All the best Mick
    When machining the skirt of a 99 piston for a synthetic bearing ring, I remember having some issues.
    Most of my machining is done with home ground HSS bits, so that may be the reason the piston skirt seemed "hard".
    Too many airguns!

Piston head very soft, possibly just mild steel --- piston skirt a little harder but still machinable with HSS cutters.

I've machined quite a few Weihrauch piston arbors and only ever used HSS cutters --- if you think about it they can't be hard as they're drilled for a cross pin at the factory.

All the best Mick

That is good to know!
    Too many airguns!