Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Without setting people against people - 95/99S comparison

Without setting people against people - 95/99S comparison

I have two HW30's, one for the UK market, the other for the German market. Both have the Rekord trigger. The springs are different. I prefer the 'recoil' of the German market gun. I like the 30 because of the lightness, pointability (hope you know what I mean by that) and gentleness of recoil. I use the 30 for plinking, shooting HFT targets and 10m shooting.

Bizarrely, I really am asking for opinions, and what forms those opinions, of the 95/99S comparison. I hear/read that all HW springers need tuning - I don't hold with that based on my 30s, just needed a couple of tins to bed them in - but is that the case with the 95/99S and what works on them?

Oh dear, I already regret this... I use springers for fun and PCPs for accuracy - please don't hold that against me!

I'm far from any good with a springer, distinctly below average to poor. But I like shooting and believe the gun should add to the enjoyment. I'll be using it to plink and shoot tin targets on HFT courses (note I don't say 'shoot HFT').

Have at it lads and ladies.

Completely useless post from me, I love my hw95k, it came secondhand so I'm not sure what tuning had been done to it (I was told it had been tuned) and I think it just has the edge on other people's tuned 99s I have tried, but that could be down to familiarity. I'll stick with the stock answer for an airgun forum-get both!

Hw95l

No knowledge of the HW99 BUT I had to replace the piston seal in my new HW95L due to damage caused by dieseling. It seems that Weihrauch were short folks due to the China Virus and the inexperienced people over oiled/greased my rifle. I also installed an ARH kit after a through clean/polish & lubed with Krytox, GPL-205. Here is the old seal.

I found My 95 too hold sensitive, I traded it for a 98 which I find really accurate. The 98 did twang like gud un. A new spring guide has sorted the twang.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

I really want to like the 95 ,infact I've owned numerous over the years. But, truth be told I can shoot the 99 much better, infact my 99 is the gun I've kept the longest, it must be at least 10 years now, a record for me
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

I'd say go for the 99. You like the 30 for lightness and my 99 is lovely to point and aim. I've only shouldered a 95 so apart from it feeling heavier cannot comment on it further. After bedding my .25 now does nearly 11.4 and assume that is quite enough for your needs.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    95 needs a short stroke nose for 12 FP to control the flip / hold sensitivity. That done, it's a little better than the 99, and has a simpler cocking linkage, and beefier barrel.

Factory spec, I'd have the 99S
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    95 needs a short stroke nose for 12 FP to control the flip / hold sensitivity. That done, it's a little better than the 99, and has a simpler cocking linkage, and beefier barrel.

Factory spec, I'd have the 99S

I disagree, 95 s are great in any cal, just stick on a heavier mod

99's are oversprung in 177 if you want more than 10.5 ftlbs

99s self destruct with design fault cocking lever, 95s don't
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

95 / 99

Got 2 95's and 4 99s..All full blown custom jobs.. it would have to be the 99 for me. Mach 1.5

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I disagree, 95 s are great in any cal, just stick on a heavier mod

99's are oversprung in 177 if you want more than 10.5 ftlbs

99s self destruct with design fault cocking lever, 95s don't
    so you actually do agree, except rather than addressing the cause of the 95's flip problem at source, you prefer to address the sympton
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    so you actually do agree, except rather than addressing the cause of the 95's flip problem at source, you prefer to address the sympton
    Nope I don’t rate the extensions shooting cycles
    People only started talking about barrel flip when hw shortened them and out on a mod that’s not heavy enough -

Sometimes people just gave different opinions - it’s not required to try and suggest they are agreeing with you when not.
    No I think all the extensions are a bit pants

which one?

Out of the two I would get the HW99 but my pick for a new break barrel plinking/target HW would be the HW35!

In the club I'm a member of, there are just a few people who shoot a 95/99S (perhaps that suggests something in itself!), so thank you for the greater number of opinions. The replies were what I was hoping for. I would have been worried (for Weihrauch) if all the replies had said the same one was the preferred choice. So, like I always say - I need to get hold of an example of each and shoot them - the problem will be knowing what tuning/abuse they have been subject to.

Interesting bringing the 98 and 35 into the comparison.

Can I ask a bit more about the 'self destruct' feature of the 99S, is this the widely discussed galling problem?

It's surprising the 99S is discussed alongside the 35/98 (and even the 95) when you consider the price.

99 test :

Cock, de cock - repeat 1/2 dozen times

The lever catches the cylinder and gouges it

If they've fixed it great - if not people used to buy them, file the lever insert delrin !!
    If the fix is factory delrin - errr just buy a rifle where the cocking lever clears the cylinder - just a personal opinion !

Early 99's did eat pistons. Mr Pope did tell Hull Cartridge of the problem but they didn't listen. Seems they listened about 3 years ago after all owners moaning and later 99s don't suffer with the problem!! Mach 1.5