Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Without setting people against people - 95/99S comparison

Ah, never thought of it like that, JB.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Indeed, Les. We'd all be far better shots if we had just the one rifle, used it exclusively, practised and handled it regularly and really got to know it. "Beware the man with just the one gun" and all that. But we just haven't been able to resist building those numbers up when affordability / space allowed.
    When I just had my Webley Vulcan mk1 to use as my only gun, we became has one and I got very good with it (for me) even with the less than perfect trigger. Getting older and bad eye sight hasn't helped
    . More practice me thinks. .
    Les..

The 99, having an almost ideal sub12 powerplant, is far easier to tune than the 95.

But a well tuned 95 is a peach of a rifle, that doesn't shit itself like the 99 has the ability to do.

Having said all that, I own a 99, but no longer own a 95
    B.A.S.C. member

The 95 is the better gun with the solid cocking arm, shoe, fatter barrel, piston sleeve and four stock screws. The internal finish is also better. However, for uk spec, the stroke of the 95 should be reduced.

I really hate the linked cocking arm on the 99. The new ”fix” just move the problem to the inside of the tube, if not properly fixed. And if properly fixed the arm will rattle. Furthermore, the cocking effort will always be greater with the linked arm. Did I mention that I hate it?

Quote Originally Posted by KarlSwe View Post
    The 95 is the better gun with the solid cocking arm, shoe, fatter barrel, piston sleeve and four stock screws. The internal finish is also better. However, for uk spec, the stroke of the 95 should be reduced.

I really hate the linked cocking arm on the 99. The new ”fix” just move the problem to the inside of the tube, if not properly fixed. And if properly fixed the arm will rattle. Furthermore, the cocking effort will always be greater with the linked arm. Did I mention that I hate it?
    This !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

They're both shyte --- buy an Oldschool HW85 or an Oldschool HW50.

image.jpg

Screw in back blocks rule --- tiles suck.

I have a Steve Pope fully tuned HW95; and so smooth but still hold sensitive. It just doesn't like pressure from cheek weld, which is most annoying. Right technique it tac drives. Nice and light though.
    Others have found them tricky to shoot well being so hold sensitive, which suggests it is a design quirk flaw.

So I can't advise buying a HW95.

I can't advise either on the HW99 having not owned one. There are loads of springers to have plinking good fun with. Some of the enjoyment is because they don't make it PCP easy.
    The more well behaved springers generally are a whole lot heavier: HW80/77, Original 45, and Air Arms TX/ProSport. That weight can get in the way of long plinking standing sessions, unless you are built like a brick outhouse. Though the weight keeps it all steady for the first few shots.

The older BSAs are lovely to shoot with iron sights. Webley Omega aren't half bad, nor are FWB Sports, with a 4x40 or 3-9x40 scope. All are fun, and the triggers "entertaining"

Probably not much help.
    95 not too good and 99 feels like a toy.
    80k all the way, or 77k if HFT etc.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    They're both shyte --- buy an Oldschool HW85 or an Oldschool HW50.

image.jpg

Screw in back blocks rule --- tiles suck.
    No, no, no, Mick! Now you know how I really hate to have to disagree with you, but I can't agree on the 85. The old school 50 definitely yes. But not the 85, due to its cutaway piston courtesy of the scope ramp. Those tiles might not be the brightest of ideas, but I'd rather have them rather than having the rear of the piston potentially gnash away at the cylinder.

But, as said, the old school 50......yummy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Probably not much help.
    95 not too good and 99 feels like a toy.
    80k all the way, or 77k if HFT etc.
    Obviously miles off the OP mark, but can't disagree with these recommendations.. And I'd have to add in the 35 and 30.

If they built the modern day 50/99 like a scaled down 80, with a single piece under arm, and cocking shoe, along with screw in back block, it would be very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    No, no, no, Mick! Now you know how I really hate to have to disagree with you, but I can't agree on the 85. The old school 50 definitely yes. But not the 85, due to its cutaway piston courtesy of the scope ramp. Those tiles might not be the brightest of ideas, but I'd rather have them rather than having the rear of the piston potentially gnash away at the cylinder.

But, as said, the old school 50......yummy.

Early 95s had the cutaway 85 piston Tone --- Weihrauch using up old stock ?

None of my 85s appear to have chewed the cylinders up but a bearing would sort it if it did become a problem.
    Tiles belong in kitchens, bathrooms and massage parlours (a friend told me ) not holding back blocks in guns.

All the best Mick

As stated previously in this thread, the 95 really is the better gun, if it wasnt for the too long stroke.
    But regardless of the problematic cocking lever, the 99/50 really has a too short stroke.

If someone made and sold short stroke pistons for the 95, the problem would be solved.
    But how long would we want the stroke to be? somewhere between 75 and 80 mm?
    Too many airguns!

HW95 specs.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    As stated previously in this thread, the 95 really is the better gun, if it wasnt for the too long stroke.
    But regardless of the problematic cocking lever, the 99/50 really has a too short stroke.

If someone made and sold short stroke pistons for the 95, the problem would be solved.
    But how long would we want the stroke to be? somewhere between 75 and 80 mm?

FYI, HW95L

26 Bore Diameter Piston Seal Size (mm)

85 Piston Stroke (mm)

45.13 Piston Swept Volume (cc)

3x15 Transfer Port x Length (mm)

0.106 Transfer Port Volume (cc)

426:1 SCR

254 Piston Weight in Grams (g)

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Early 95s had the cutaway 85 piston Tone --- Weihrauch using up old stock ?

None of my 85s appear to have chewed the cylinders up but a bearing would sort it if it did become a problem.
    Tiles belong in kitchens, bathrooms and massage parlours (a friend told me ) not holding back blocks in guns.

All the best Mick
    Wow! I never knew that about the early 95s using the 85 piston, Mick.. Thank you.. And I appreciate checking it over, smoothing off any sharp edges if any were present and some decent moly lube would also work to provide peace of mind without going the full hog with a bearing. My early 95 doesn't have the cutaway piston.

Can't we call them "retaining blocks"?