Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Without setting people against people - 95/99S comparison

So if buying a 99 - you buy a new one from a shop in person - cock it and de cock it a dozen times - then you know it’s OK - ?
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Or buy a 95 !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

My Hw98 with standard stroke hold sensitive.
    The same gun with V-glide tune hold sensative.
    The same gun with 12mm piston stroke reduction perfect.The rifle is in. 177.
    My 99s in standard factory set up was a bit hold sensative for me, until I added a Jonny Neate barrel weight (blued steel) and that cured the sensative issue. In 22 cal.
    My choice would be the 99s.
    Les.

I have three 95s, a 98 and two 99s. Love them all and would find it very difficult to choose one over the others if buying afresh.

With the OP's parameters set, I might just lean slightly towards the 99, though, for the lightness and remarkably refined firing cycle as standard. Much cheaper, too. Indeed, it doesn't cost much more than many "budget" rifles but comes with the superb Rekord and quality barrel. Maybe, maybe (not always a given) a little work on the cocking lever and sorted.. Super rifles.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

My wife has a HW50, which is basically a HW99. It has not been tuned, doesn’t need it, is still “as bought” from SGC, groups beautifully at 30 yards. Shoots at 10.8fpe. Has been shot regularly for 7 years with no sign of issues.

99/95

Following on from my earlier reply I definitely would buy a 99 new again if I knew what I know now (through personal experience). I must say there were two small negatives one of which might well apply to all Weihrauchs now.
    On my .25 the barrel seal is an o ring and that was being nicked by the upper edge of the cylinder on closing. I gently deburred the cylinder and SFS sent me two replacements. When I opened it up to put a tinbum kit in (Bonjour Voyeur) the recesses for the four little plugs at the trigger needed deburing.
    Then I looked at the factory spring guide. The delrin body is machined with a chamfer to match a steel end which must allow rotation acting like a slip washer.
    Would love to get that inside my Airsporter the metal ring is just a bit too large diameter.
    Mine has never galled.
    From day one it was more accurate than my BSAs
    So why not buy a 99 new, find a second hand 95, and set about getting it tuned with a short stroke conversion.
    Thomas

Had a 99 in .177, in standard factory form it was so harsh that it shook a scope loose, something I have never known in years of shooting - it took a TbT kit and a shortened, softer Titan spring to get it down to around 10ft/lb and a bearable shot cycle and even then it just didn't feel right

Replaced with a 95 in .177, and not going to lie it was secondhand but factory standard when I got it, was running hot (around 12.5ft/lb) and even with a little more weight in the action, stock, and at the muzzle it was only slightly more composed than the 99 had been initially

It is however a much better made rifle; replaced the cocking link with a QR pin to make what I had anticipated would be the multiple strip and rebuilds to get it right easier.. in reality I stripped it once to clean it, fit a TbT guide, top hat and short stroke, was still a bit harsh and running at about 11.5ft/lb, so stripped it again and compressed standard spring by around 10mm (to offset the short stroke)

Now sat at around 10.5ft/lb, and with a shorter, heavier muzzle brake instead of the long, light HW moderator it shoots nicely.... slight disturbance to sight picture, and still experimenting with pellets (was good with QYS Streamlined when I got it, and now H&N FTT seem to be better) and happy enough with it that I've ordered a CS stock to add a little more weight and wood around the fore end

The 99 was a chance purchase when I was considering whether to go for a 99 or a 95, and even if the 95 I now have hadn't appeared for sale at a price I couldn't refuse it was never going to be a keeper
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Without setting people against people - 95/99S comparison

I tried a full lenth barreled 95 for a weekend with a view to buying it, did'nt like the feel at all of the shot cycle & it felt cubersome too, I've had my 2nd hand 50s for well over 10 years now & the only thing I've done to it is add a insert to prevent galling (which it had no signs of then) & stipple the forend & pistol grip as it was the slippiest stock ever especially when wet, I think that says it all as it's the only springer I've had in 40+ years of shooting I've never felt the need to go inside to tune a bit.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    My Hw98 with standard stroke hold sensitive.
    The same gun with V-glide tune hold sensative.
    The same gun with 12mm piston stroke reduction perfect.The rifle is in. 177.
    My 99s in standard factory set up was a bit hold sensative for me, until I added a Jonny Neate barrel weight (blued steel) and that cured the sensative issue. In 22 cal.
    My choice would be the 99s.
    Les.
    yup, I think the wholehold sensitivity thing comes down to the standard of your shooting, and the variety of your shooting. If you can barely hold 2" groups at 20 yards, or always shoot rested, it's not a big factor. But if you, hunt, or HFT, or just shoot different positions and have a reasonable standard of accuracy, there's no doubting it's there.

a 12mm short stroke on a 95 is a mill or two longer stroke than a 99S, so very close.

The long stroke guns are just not well suited to 12 FP.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

95 / 99

If buying a 95 try and find a MK1 with the barrel weight. Problem is they are getting hard to find in either calibre. Mach 1.5

Bought a new .177 99 a few weeks back.
    Nice handling, with a 2-7x32, extremely accurate, smooth to cock and shoot.
    770fps on 8.4 JSB and also shoots the R10 and Polymags
    well as luck would have it.
    Anything up to 45yds is toast.
    If you ever fancied a BSF B55..don't bother, the 99 is better.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yup, I think the wholehold sensitivity thing comes down to the standard of your shooting, and the variety of your shooting. If you can barely hold 2" groups at 20 yards, or always shoot rested, it's not a big factor. But if you, hunt, or HFT, or just shoot different positions and have a reasonable standard of accuracy, there's no doubting it's there.

a 12mm short stroke on a 95 is a mill or two longer stroke than a 99S, so very close.

The long stroke guns are just not well suited to 12 FP.
    Like many on here, I have a fair few Rifles to choose from and never get totally comfortable with just the one gun, often swapping and changing.
    But out of my collection it's only the above two that I've had problems with regards hold sensitivity. The 99s is a better gun shooting unsupported for me, which I prefer doing. I definitely need to practice more.
    Les.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

FP.
    Fully agree with the expectation and intended usage thinking, Jon. Also, once one has got a feel for a particular gun and if using "seasoned" hold techniques, hold sensitivity can be less of an issue if not changing positions as mentioned. So, to a certain degree, a "better" springer shot won't suffer as badly.
    Last edited by TonyL; 08-08-2022 at 04:55 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    Like many on here, I have a fair few Rifles to choose from and never get totally comfortable with just the one gun, often swapping and changing.
    Indeed, Les. We'd all be far better shots if we had just the one rifle, used it exclusively, practised and handled it regularly and really got to know it. "Beware the man with just the one gun" and all that. But we just haven't been able to resist building those numbers up when affordability / space allowed.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    "Beware the man with just the one gun"
    "beware the man with just the one gun, he'll be looking to buy yours..."
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.