Thread: Every pellet counts ?

Every pellet counts ?

I was on a forum for another interest of mine, ponds, where a member had two lovely linked pond but the lower one had turned green, and was asking why. It came to be that he had turned his variable flow pump output down to save money on the electricity.
    It got me thinking, are you shooting as much as to economise on expense ?
    Is this now the thing to do ?

I pretty much stocked up on pellets before prices went daft, only bought a few tins since increases. I really only hunt and these days not much of that, so my pellet use is negligible .
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

No economy from me.
    Just work more to pay for it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    No economy from me.
    I tried work, stuck with it for
    40 odd years,33 with same company. Took early retirement only to find retirement is harder than work !

I tend to buy pellets in bulk, especially for target shooting, and although I've noticed the price going up, I haven't bought any more.

I shoot a few air pistol comps and shoot hundreds of plinking pellets and haven't thought about the cost (as yet) or shooting less.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

I've bought a lot of unwanted pellets, As with other hobbies it looks like I have a little addictive personality. If I go into something I normally go a bit over the top with gear. Apart from the odd shooting through the skan I've bought around 40 tins of pellets and dont think I been out shooting in that time , I must have another 35/40 tins already in stock. So about 70 to 80 tins in stock, On the other hand if you buy a couple of tins at a time then it dont seem so expensive, I would have thought a lot of these will have to be sorted by the kids as they should outlive me,

Shooting less - no,
    but I am keeping an eye open for pellets to stock up with at better prices.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    No economy from me.
    Pretty much sums me up as well. Works going great, earning more so I'm spending more.
    I used to go on the piss 3 nights a week, roughly £30 a time, so a few tins of slightly more expensive pellets doesn't bother me. Tho a few years ago I couldnt afford the rent, never mind pellets.
    What bothers me atm is the fashion of tins of 200. Bisley used to do it, but they were generally half the price of a proper tin, but I've seen a few brands following suit and near enough charging full price.
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Quote Originally Posted by Strimmer View Post
    What bothers me atm is the fashion of tins of 200. Bisley used to do it, but they were generally half the price of a proper tin, but I've seen a few brands following suit and near enough charging full price.
    They're trying to disguise how much the price has gone up by keeping a similar price but you get far less for your money, H&N are the worst culprit.

They've been doing the same thing with chocolate bars for years, a mars bar today is 33.8g I found an old wrapper in a fishing tackle box a couple of weeks back 54g

Cheep Cheep!

Get some of those HARD lead free ones and when they bounce back catch them and shoot them again.

I don't get the chance to shoot as often as I'd like these days, so my reduced usage is down to other factors anyway. Once I am shooting, I often have to remind myself to not be wasteful and give every shot my very best attention and every pellet the very best chance to hit its mark. This advice to self, more often than not, falls on deaf ears unless pellet testing / zeroing, though.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I am afraid I just suck it up.
    I don't shoot a tin a week but if I did £20 a week is cheaper than fishing! Well almost.

Same with fuel, the missus likes to go to Costco, I use my local independent garage. They are 10p a litre more but when the crunch comes they open by arrangement for locals.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

dont do a lot of shooting at minute but bought 20 tins of air arms fields to keep me going

Shoot the same. Luckily over the years every visit to a gun shop I've bought a couple of tins of pellets. More for hunting so don't use much. I've got that many pellets now I probably don't need to change how I buy, if anything I can buy less & shoot more now I'm retired. Saying that I just might bulk buy my FaC rifles favorite before prices go up even more.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I've bought pellets in bulk for well over a decade now so was very, very lucky that my last bulk buy was before the price hikes. I travel to a lot of HFT comps and have noticed how much more i'm spending there.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us