Thread: Pistol scopes

Pistol scopes

Not strictly airgun, I am considering a scope for a .22 rimfire long barrel pistol for target use. It needs to have close parallax, a lot of the pistol scopes out there are designed for centre fire pistols and have a parallax setting of 50 or 100 yards.

As air pistols are used at closer ranges, an air pistol scope is probably the way for me to go. I have a nice little Vortex red dot at present but I'm not getting any younger and my eyes are starting to need a bit of help, so I am thinking a scope may be the way forward. There are air pistol scopes out there from £35 upwards, obviously not going to be Schmidt & Bender quality but OK for a rimfire pistol at 10 - 50 yards. One scope that has caught my eye is the Weihrauch 2 x 20, seems reasonably priced at around £95, has anyone got one, what's the opinion of it?

What other scopes are people using, all input appreciated.

What type of shooting will you be using it for ?
    I find that the trouble with most pistol scopes are black cross hairs on a black target and you easily loose a good / consistent aim point.
    I’m using leupold pistol scopes on LBR’s

Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    What type of shooting will you be using it for ?
    I find that the trouble with most pistol scopes are black cross hairs on a black target and you easily loose a good / consistent aim point.
    I’m using leupold pistol scopes on LBR’s

It's for Club level target competitions, round bull's eyes mostly at 25 yards although there may be some similar to the old Police Pistol targets at 10 and 15 yards.

I'm not too bad with the black cross hairs/target thing, I do a fair amount of rifle shooting on targets like that and manage OK. Which Leupolds are you using, I have seen an M8-2X Extended Eye Relief scope at a decent price but I understand the parallax on that scope is set at 50 or 100 yards, so not good for 25yd targets.

If your red dot is 1x try a 2x version. Plenty out there, get a cheap used one to try, if it doesn't do the job sell on for your money back.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    If your red dot is 1x try a 2x version. Plenty out there, get a cheap used one to try, if it doesn't do the job sell on for your money back.
    Good suggestion, had not thought of that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapinschaw_Man View Post
    It's for Club level target competitions, round bull's eyes mostly at 25 yards although there may be some similar to the old Police Pistol targets at 10 and 15 yards.

I'm not too bad with the black cross hairs/target thing, I do a fair amount of rifle shooting on targets like that and manage OK. Which Leupolds are you using, I have seen an M8-2X Extended Eye Relief scope at a decent price but I understand the parallax on that scope is set at 50 or 100 yards, so not good for 25yd targets.
    It’s an m8 2x and it’s a fine cross hair .For target shooting I prefer iron sights as less ‘wobble’ or so it appears when compared to a scope at arms length.

ATB
    James

It’s an m8 2x and it’s a fine cross hair .For target shooting I prefer iron sights as less ‘wobble’ or so it appears when compared to a scope at arms length.

ATB
    James
    Hi James,
    Thanks for the response. That's the Leupold model I may be interested in. Is it usable at 25 yards on paper targets, or is the parallax set at a much greater distance?

Ive been using a PAO 2-8x pistol scope and am well pleased with it. The 8x is only really feasible bench supported to to my shakes being magnified but hand held at 2 to 4x at those ranges it does the job nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Wapinschaw_Man View Post
    Hi James,
    Thanks for the response. That's the Leupold model I may be interested in. Is it usable at 25 yards on paper targets, or is the parallax set at a much greater distance?
    Yes it’s useable at 25m/ yds 👍
    I can’t recall what the parallax is set at as I only use it at 20yds

Yes it’s useable at 25m/ yds 👍
    I can’t recall what the parallax is set at as I only use it at 20yds
    Thanks James, that's a big help. The Leupold may be what I am looking for.