Thread: Buying tuned s/h air rifle only to 'fix it' by putting back in factory parts

Buying tuned s/h air rifle only to 'fix it' by putting back in factory parts

Inspired by another thread _

Tuned - to me most often strikes terror in my heart !

I am put off if I know a rifles been 'got at' generally _ Are you - ?

My most 'frustrating' buy a Diana where someone had messed up a perfectly good T0-6 trigger by bending stuff with pliers - following a U Tube (Really !!!!) that was putting out low power by a strange concoction of who knows what spring .......

Thankfully I had spare factory parts. I wish I could obtain a new T0-6 trigger for it too .......sigh

Would you buy a s/h tuned rifle - or is a factory 'un messed with' rifle actually worth more ? I know which I prefer generally ...
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I couldn't agree more. I try to avoid anything that has been home tuned. I recently bought a rifle from another site which had been 'fettled'. As it turned out it shoots quite well. Wish I'd asked for the parts that were removed though

Tuned?

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Inspired by another thread _

Tuned - to me most often strikes terror in my heart !

I am put off if I know a rifles been 'got at' generally _ Are you - ?

My most 'frustrating' buy a Diana where someone had messed up a perfectly good T0-6 trigger by bending stuff with pliers - following a U Tube (Really !!!!) that was putting out low power by a strange concoction of who knows what spring .......

Thankfully I had spare factory parts. I wish I could obtain a new T0-6 trigger for it too .......sigh

Would you buy a s/h tuned rifle - or is a factory 'un messed with' rifle actually worth more ? I know which I prefer generally ...
    I'd only buy a tuned gun if it was a Venom Conversions, Venom Arms Company tune or V-Mach tune, even then I'd need documented evidence, otherwise its new only for me.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    I'd only buy a tuned gun if it was a Venom Conversions, Venom Arms Company tune or V-Mach tune, even then I'd need documented evidence, otherwise its new only for me.
    I obtained a supposedly Venom tuned rifle once, to only find out that it was packed full of grease and had a broken spring, the internals where completely standard as well, obviously I wilI never deal with that person again, have a couple of home tuned rifles I bought and both are pretty nice to shoot, one was at the last Bash and for a home tune is pretty good, no twang and feels like a tack driver.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I would not necessarily reject it out of hand but: I would want to know what had been done to it and by whom with supporting paperwork if available. A 'home tune' could be OK but I would again need to know what had been done, by whom and see the rifle, and shoot it first if possible. I might add that buying from a known person e.g. established member on here considerably lessens the risk. Otherwise it is a bit of a lottery but the risk is lessened if you are confident you can sort out any problems. Same with auctions of course.
    Cheers, Phil

i bought a lovely tuned 95 off a gun smith best spring gun ive owned

Obviously it is down to the buyer, do you the buyer believe the seller? Has the seller any proof who tuned the gun? Can you try the gun? Does the seller have a chrono?
    When I tune a gun I give the customer a chrono sheet, sometimes a test target to prove grouping at a decent range (45 yards) if they have asked for this (and can pay for the time taken to do this). My tuned guns have warranty numbers and tamper evident seals which are individually numbered. If a potential customer wishes the enquire if I did tune a gun I will firstly search my records for the serial number, if I cannot find it I will make the customer aware it has never been through my hands, if it is in my records then I will be able to tell the customer when I tuned it, what I did to it, who I tuned it for (as it may well have changed hands since being tuned). All this is good information for a potential sale or gives the customer enough information to walk away before being "stitched" with a gun that either I have never laid eyes on or has been messed with since I did if the tamper evident seals are removed or broken.
    A reputable tuner (or at least one who wants to preserve a reputation) should be able to do similar for a customer, even if the new potential owner hasn't ever had any work done by me s/he will be able to benefit from sending the gun to me in the future if it needs a service.
    Just because a gun has a sticker on it doesn't mean it's been tuned by the shop/tuner concerned, but if the sticker is a warranty number that might imply the tuner could confirm what the seller claims.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!