Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anybody know the history of the HW35 Hofmann Premier ?

does anybody know the history of the HW35 Hofmann Premier ?

Anybody know the history behind Weihrauch producing the HW35 Hofmann Premier...Brushed steel barrel and breech,1/2 inch threaded barrel.Looks like a walnut stock(will know for sure when I get the layers of red cedar varnish off it !)
    It must be an early version as it has the leather piston seal.It's not a varient of the 'Vixen' is it ?!
    No serial number and not a Hull Cart import.Just got 'Hofmann Premier 5.5kal ' stamped on the breech.No evidence of the serial number being removed.
    Just about to spend too much money restoring it to original condition.Need a little history on it.
    Thanks
    Carl B.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Both the Normays I have are marked 'Vixen', and have the distinctive nickel-plated barrel catch, so I don't think yours is likely to be a Norman May 'product'. Is it possible that you have an aftermarket barrel on an otherwise stock gun? I have an HW35 just like this - the barrel has 'EUSTA' engraved on it, but none of the usual HW marks.
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Carl,

The action sounds similar to the one shown in I.J.'s collection.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...HW35BlackS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Is it possible that you have an aftermarket barrel on an otherwise stock gun?
    Nope the Hofmanns did come like that I can remember seeing the adverts. Sadly, that's about all I can remember. I suspect that the extra work was done 'Ex-Weihrauch'.

Quote Originally Posted by E-B View Post
    Nope the Hofmanns did come like that I can remember seeing the adverts. Sadly, that's about all I can remember. I suspect that the extra work was done 'Ex-Weihrauch'.
    Any idea when this would have been? I've got loads of old airgun mags, so I'll have a look if I know what era to check!

Late seventies maybe early eighties.

So far I've found an ad for the Hofmann that says it was made especially for Hull Cartridge but this gun has regular bluing. I suspect it is the Premier that was polished.

Still looking,...

I'd have thought that the gun must be a 70's model if it had the leather washer? When did they change over - was it about 1978?

Nope, struck out.

The ad for the Hofmann, that says it was made especially for Hull Cartridge but with the regular bluing, appears in the first few issues of Airgun World from 1977 but the word Hofmann is dropped thereafter.

I am pretty sure I have seen an ad for a 'Hofmann' 35 pictured, and described, as 'brushed steel finish' but I'll be buggered if I can find it .

Hope someone else comes through.

The stock is as the Export model inc pistol grip plate etc and is Walnut....very nice it is as well.I have emailed Weihrauch for info.They did respond to my last question re my HW85....so....you never know.Will keep you updated as and when.Please keep searching though...any info welcomed.
    thanks
    Carl B

I've just acquired a Hofman Premier that's been in a chaps cupboard for a lot of years. This one has the standard beech stock with rounded pistol grip and a rubber recoil pad. .22 19inch barrel, the earlier wider 13mm scope rails, only 2 recoil stud holes and definitely no threading on the barrel. Non protruding safety catch. So far I've not located the serial number - too darned hot in my shed today! Hope the above is useful/helpful.

Cheers,

Dave

PS - Sorry, just realised I've stumbled into and resurrected a 16 year old thread! Sorry.
    Last edited by MartiniDave; 09-08-2022 at 05:18 PM.

The serial number should be stamped on the back block. One sided safety was 1976 to 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I'd have thought that the gun must be a 70's model if it had the leather washer? When did they change over - was it about 1978?
    Based on the serial number, Weihrauch dated my leather sealed one side safety HW35 to 1980.
    Too many airguns!

The 35 changed from leather sealed piston to synthetic sealed piston at serial number 843636 in 1980.

All 25mm Weihrauchs changed from leather to synthetic in 1983.

All the best Mick

Removable silencers are not legal in Germany on rifles above 7.5 Joules so I dont think the Hofman is at it left the works. They wouldnt thread the barrel at that time.
    I had a beech stocked Hofman many years ago withno HW35 markings but the breechblock was stamped Hofman Cal 5.6 mm. No that isnt a keyboard error