Thread: !980 HW35 safety problem

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.

!980 HW35 safety problem

I had a problem with this 35 a few bashes ago Quigley Bottom, the problem was it would't shoot even when the safety was pushed in.
    It has been like that untouched until today, I took the gun apart, I had been told that a spring from a Biro pen would do the job. Well after cutting the spring down to allow the safety catch to go in I re-assembled the gun.
    I cocked the gun, pressed the safety, the gun would not shoot. a tad disappointed, took the gun apart and checked to see if i could see anything untoward. realising I was wasting my time as I know sod all about the workings really, I re-assembled the gun cocked it and it would not shoot.
    I then pressed the safety and it moved a tad further in to the gun, i held it there and the gun fired.
    My question is, is the spring i have used too long and would the correct spring correct this problem.

Trying to hold the safety catch in whilst shooting the gun is very awkward.

Melv

Chippendale. (with clothes on)

Safety

For the sake of £3.22 and postage I would get the proper item from chambers rather than use something else. After all safety is the utmost importance. Mach 1.5

could not agree more

Thanks will do.

Melv

Mel',
    Whilst you have that safety out, look at both faces of the groove machined into the safety pin. They should both be flat. I had a similar problem recently and it was bad machining of the one face, with a step left on the face. You pressed the safety in and the sear sprung out partially then caught on this step. As the sear was not out all the way, it wouldn't fire until you pressed the pin in more, freeing up the sear and allowing it to shoot. Not having a lathe, I dressed it flat in a pillar drill chuck with a diamond needle file.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Mel',
    Whilst you have that safety out, look at both faces of the groove machined into the safety pin. They should both be flat. I had a similar problem recently and it was bad machining of the one face, with a step left on the face. You pressed the safety in and the sear sprung out partially then caught on this step. As the sear was not out all the way, it wouldn't fire until you pressed the pin in more, freeing up the sear and allowing it to shoot. Not having a lathe, I dressed it flat in a pillar drill chuck with a diamond needle file.
    Thanks for that CB, when the new spring arrives I will have a look,

I noticed that the small projection at the top right hand of the trigger block, looking at the left hand side of it, that projection was bent inwards is this normal?

Melv

Got new safety catch spring from Chambers, put it in still no change, the Safety has to be pressed in to allow the gun to shoot.
    Anybody experienced this and repaired it successfully?

Melv

Is it a standard safety catch? Or is it a brass aftermarket one and has anyone messed with the small part on the trigger unit that the safety goes through at all

From recollection, it's a single sided safety. With the rear sear set in (as if the trigger is ready to fire) the gap between that tab on the sheet metal housing and the sear
    needs to be 0.5mm or less.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    From recollection, it's a single sided safety. With the rear sear set in (as if the trigger is ready to fire) the gap between that tab on the sheet metal housing and the sear
    needs to be 0.5mm or less.
    Thanks CB
    It is a single sided safety, I will check the gap tomorrow, I'm beginning to get a little perplexed.

Are the Record Trigger Units available to buy separately?

Melv