Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HW35 Export?

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

HW35 Export?

I have acquired an HW35, it's quite an old one, but has synthetic piston seal, double sided safety and has Germany rather than West Germany stamped onto it, so probably 1990's. It has the stupid 22" barrel, what looks to be a walnut stock with chequering and white spacers on the pistol grip and butt pad, and fitted sling swivels. All the hallmarks of an Export, but it is just stamped "HW35" on the breech block.

It's not in bad condition, but the sights are missing as it had a scope (Optima Moonlighter, I'm keeping that)
    I've removed the little bits of surface rust, stripped and cleaned it, and am currently scragging a spring ready to rebuild it tomorrow.

Before I fob this off on some deluded fool, is this actually an export?

Don't think they were ever marked anywhere as 'Export'.
    The combination of the 22" barrel and style of stock you mention says it is an 'E'.

Mike.

Yes Nick, it's an E.

E denotes the walnut stock, the actions weren't marked with an E.

An E came with either 19" or 22" barrels.

All the best Mick

Ah, seeing the thread title and reading the earlier part of the thread, it filled my heart with joy that you may have seen the light and converted to HW35 ownership, Nick.. But alas, not.. You never know, though, once you've built it up and tested it, it may well cast its spell on you? Fingers crossed....... And then we just have "Pesky Pete" to convince.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks all!

It's cleaned up and back together, but doing a disappointing 9.5 ft/lb. I don't have any breech or piston seals here and I think that may be the problem, I'll replace them next week.
    As for replacing the sights, should I just go with opens and keep it original, or go diopter? Its .22 so I don't know if there's a call for a "target" version, but I short stroked one to 6 ft/lb for a friend last year and it was bloody good!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You know that deep down you really want to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    You know that deep down you really want to keep it.
    I just put some open sights on it and had a revelation:

1. When shooting you cannot see it

2. It has a distinct accuracy advantage over other rifles as the muzzle is at least a yard closer to the target

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Ah, seeing the thread title and reading the earlier part of the thread, it filled my heart with joy that you may have seen the light and converted to HW35 ownership, Nick.. But alas, not.. You never know, though, once you've built it up and tested it, it may well cast its spell on you? Fingers crossed....... And then we just have "Pesky Pete" to convince.
    Hi Tony,

This will gladden your heart slightly. As you know last year I bought an HW35K and tweaked it from a gun that was almost impossible to cock to something that’s a joy to shoot.

I’ve started going down our club again on a Wednesday evening and last night took the 35 down along with my custom made pcp 0.177 target gun. I spent 15 mins on the 50yrd indoor range ringing 30yrd bell targets then a whole one and a quarter hours on the outdoor range with the 35

With the Hawke 3-9x50 on it I was also putting holes in some big dried thistle teasels at 50yrds on the outdoor range !!

The pcp target rifle didn’t even get taken out of its bag

A most enjoyable evening ( but I shan’t get rid of my PCP’s )

Nick, is that finger groove on the stock smooth or has it got lots of horizontal grooves in it ?

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I just put some open sights on it and had a revelation:

1. When shooting you cannot see it

2. It has a distinct accuracy advantage over other rifles as the muzzle is at least a yard closer to the target

[IMG][/IMG]
    I suppose you could equate it to a 7' dart player, they will be closer to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Hi Tony,

This will gladden your heart slightly. As you know last year I bought an HW35K and tweaked it from a gun that was almost impossible to cock to something that’s a joy to shoot.

I’ve started going down our club again on a Wednesday evening and last night took the 35 down along with my custom made pcp 0.177 target gun. I spent 15 mins on the 50yrd indoor range ringing 30yrd bell targets then a whole one and a quarter hours on the outdoor range with the 35

With the Hawke 3-9x50 on it I was also putting holes in some big dried thistle teasels at 50yrds on the outdoor range !!

The pcp target rifle didn’t even get taken out of its bag

A most enjoyable evening ( but I shan’t get rid of my PCP’s )

Norm
    Marvellous!. Quite stunning, aren't they? A classic rifle that feels like it belongs to a different era but can show up so many modern rifles, proving that quality is timeless. Keep enjoying.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hang on, didn't you have a really nice 35E before, Nick --- I believe you sold it to the Ripper at my place ?

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Marvellous!. Quite stunning, aren't they? A classic rifle that feels like it belongs to a different era but can show up so many modern rifles, proving that quality is timeless. Keep enjoying.
    Hi Tony,

Yes I think this one is definitely a keeper, especially as it’s got what I believe to be a rarer stock

I got the impression when I did the tuning it thread last year that the 35 isn’t that well thought of but I can’t see why as it’s got the potential to be a lovely gun when fettled a bit.

It’s still got a slight twang, nothing too much but I may have another look some time and see if that can be improved on but for now I’ll just keep shooting it

Out of interest do people put the 35 action into posh stocks ? Like thumbhole or laminated ones ?

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hang on, didn't you have a really nice 35E before, Nick --- I believe you sold it to the Ripper at my place ?

All the best Mick
    Twenty terrible minutes I owned that for. This time I am separated from my boingery pals, so have to keep it at least until I am forced to return. That along with some other puffers and a few old school bmx's.

Karen is bringing some seals back next week, and having now put a few hundred shots through it, I can actually say I'm enjoying it. That and it's great for hooking the crisps off the top shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post

Nick, is that finger groove on the stock smooth or has it got lots of horizontal grooves in it ?

Norm
    It's smooth Norm

A pellet is going to take yonks to get down and out of that barrel At least it's a heavy rifle to keep everything stable while it does.
    All 35's benefit from smoothing out from either being well run in or a good old tune up. Nice wood and great trigger plenty to love. And the open sights aren't half bad.
    A lot of work has been done to optimise the 35, as most needed to be. Eventually even HW made the progress that was wanted and brought out the HW80/77. These just delivered more consistently.

The 35 is a very good farmyard rifle. It betters the competition in its day. Takes a bit more for it to extend the range beyond that.
    I only say the above because in truth they didn't always perform as well as expectations out of the box. Its why tuners started appearing, get them to. The rest is history.
    That Moonlighter demanded that 35m was a tac driving reachable range. If it has the BDC then circa 1984 onwards.