Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HW35 Export?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    As a double check, pre 1986 guns only had two scope arrester holes in the back block.

The three arrester hole back block was introduced when the MK2 HW77 was introduced in the Autumn of 1985.

All the best Mick

Yep, two holes.

My confusion comes from it saying "Made in Germany" rather than "Made in W Germany". That's what made me think it must be 90's.

I seem to remember tonyl saying the only way to be sure was to cut it in half and count the rings. I really don't know why he hates them so?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    The Moonlighter is so "right'" for its vintage.
    This has taken more faffing in 40° than would've been ideal, but:

Fortunately Mrs Bum is away, so I pinched the Redfield Revolution 4-12 x 40 scope off her HW66 and replaced it with a Hawke 6-18 x 44 (so much better for targets sweetie). The Redield has gone on the HW80 and the Moonlighter is back on the HW35. I borrowed these open sights from one of my HW99's and can't seem to find any period ones.

Apart from the opens, this is pretty much how I received it.

[IMG][/IMG]

You'll soon be collecting these these.
    I'm surprised I.J. hasn't commented.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    You'll soon be collecting these these.
    I'm surprised I.J. hasn't commented.

I've not commented yet yet.

p.s. Ive just added another Export Vixen to my collection thanks to Paul (Mach 1.5 on here).. You can never have to many Vixens.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I've not commented yet yet.

p.s. Ive just added another Export Vixen to my collection thanks to Paul (Mach 1.5 on here).. You can never have to many Vixens.
    I saw that one Ian. I bet you're pleased with it.

Hi Paul.

The HW35 is one of my favourite platforms to play with, I found my 1972 HW35 was very easy to get upto 15ftlbs with a piston head change and a longer stroke --- I should point out that this happened accidentally after I sealed the porous breech.

The earlier leather sealed HW35s normally had a 65mm stroke and a 4mm transfer port, Hw35s after serial number 843636 had a lighter synthetic sealed piston and a stroke of 69mm and a 2.8-3mm transfer port.

Starting with the earlier leather sealed piston it's very easy to alter them to take a synthetic seal and alter them to a 71mm stroke for a calmer firing cycle.

Venom used to advertise the early HW35 at 15ftlbs at FAC power, from the few pictures I've seen of the internals of these guns they used an O ringed piston head with a longer stroke.
    Once the synthetic seal was introduced in 1981 Venom seam to have ditched using O rings as the factory seal was efficient enough to get the job done.

I'm presently rust bluing a .177" HW35k barrel to fit to my .22" HW35 with rotary piston in order to bring its power back under 12ftlbs --- I'd rather swap barrels than mess with action, and .177" pellets are cheaper than .22".

All the best Mick
    A wonderful little technical overview of one of my favourite rifles. Cheers, Mick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

I seem to remember tonyl saying the only way to be sure was to cut it in half and count the rings. I really don't know why he hates them so?
    Careful, sunshine.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Hw35

Hi Mick. Yep my old Venom 35 had the O ring piston conversion. Not a bad conversion considering it was 1983. They also did a few O ring pistons for the HW80. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    This has taken more faffing in 40° than would've been ideal, but:

Fortunately Mrs Bum is away, so I pinched the Redfield Revolution 4-12 x 40 scope off her HW66 and replaced it with a Hawke 6-18 x 44 (so much better for targets sweetie). The Redield has gone on the HW80 and the Moonlighter is back on the HW35. I borrowed these open sights from one of my HW99's and can't seem to find any period ones.

Apart from the opens, this is pretty much how I received it.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ooo-er, looking lovely, Nick. Are you feeling the lurve yet?

P.S....If Mrs Bum's away, can I nip across and have it away with her 66?

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

Very well done, sir.

Hi Paul.

The HW35 is one of my favourite platforms to play with, I found my 1972 HW35 was very easy to get upto 15ftlbs with a piston head change and a longer stroke --- I should point out that this happened accidentally after I sealed the porous breech.

The earlier leather sealed HW35s normally had a 65mm stroke and a 4mm transfer port, Hw35s after serial number 843636 had a lighter synthetic sealed piston and a stroke of 69mm and a 2.8-3mm transfer port.

Starting with the earlier leather sealed piston it's very easy to alter them to take a synthetic seal and alter them to a 71mm stroke for a calmer firing cycle.

Venom used to advertise the early HW35 at 15ftlbs at FAC power, from the few pictures I've seen of the internals of these guns they used an O ringed piston head with a longer stroke.
    Once the synthetic seal was introduced in 1981 Venom seam to have ditched using O rings as the factory seal was efficient enough to get the job done.

I'm presently rust bluing a .177" HW35k barrel to fit to my .22" HW35 with rotary piston in order to bring its power back under 12ftlbs --- I'd rather swap barrels than mess with action, and .177" pellets are cheaper than .22".

All the best Mick

Im thinking that it must be quite easy to increase the stroke to 71 mm (or at least close to it) on a syntetic sealed 35 with a shorter seal? Is there any of the custom seals that are shorter than the factory seal?

Quote Originally Posted by KarlSwe View Post
    Im thinking that it must be quite easy to increase the stroke to 71 mm (or at least close to it) on a syntetic sealed 35 with a shorter seal? Is there any of the custom seals that are shorter than the factory seal?
    I've been looking at this seal as a possible candidate, Karl. :-

image.jpeg

I did a thread on long stroking the 35 and 99 after long stroking an Oldschool HW50 by using a TX seal. :-

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...51#post8135051

And welcome to the forum sir.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Hi Mick. Yep my old Venom 35 had the O ring piston conversion. Not a bad conversion considering it was 1983. They also did a few O ring pistons for the HW80. Mach 1.5
    Hi Paul.

My first O ring conversion was on a MK2 Airsporter in the early 1970s --- BSA sold an adaptor kit to do this as by 1971 they'd changed to O ring piston heads on the Mercury and Airsporter after using them successfully on the Meteor for a few years.

The O ring conversion on the Leather sealed HW35 is fairly easy as you can screw on an O ring adaptor as you already have an m8 stub on the front of the piston, by coincidence, I used an Airsporter sized O ring on my first HW35 O ring conversion.

Later HW35s and the HW80 would need the seal arbor machining off the front of the piston to expose the latch rod in order to thread it to fit an O ringed head --- still a fairly simple job.

John Bowkett used to machine the arbor off HW77 pistons in order to fit his twin O ring piston heads so the conversion seems to have been quite common back in the day.

All the best Mick

Venom, Bowkett and, maybe, others obviously enjoyed success with the 'O' ring seal.

Used successfully by BSA on many models, as mentioned above.

I think you have a fair few of your sweet shooting converted springers running them, Mick? And didn't you write that fine article that appeared in Jim's RAS, Mick?

And we have NickG who has enjoyed much success with them and, latterly, 'X' and Quad rings.

Obviously more than viable, even today, once set up correctly. And useful for increasing strokes in many guns?

Also, there's the PTFE seal that has lost favour in recent times....again, maybe useful for stroke increasing. We're all aware of the potential pitfalls, but Pete Evans' article in the current issue of AGW left me feeling a little warm and fuzzy feeling towards them again ()

Fac ??

I remember lusting after the 35 E (22'' barrel and walnut) and not being able to afford one but I am certain that they were FAC rated at one point in the mistaken belief that the longer barrel increased muzzle velocity and I don't know when this was reversed.
    Does any one else remember this?