Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HW35 Export?

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I've been looking at this seal as a possible candidate, Karl. :-

Attachment 326465

I did a thread on long stroking the 35 and 99 after long stroking an Oldschool HW50 by using a TX seal. :-

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...51#post8135051

And welcome to the forum sir.

All the best Mick
    Thank you Mick!

That could be an option, but I would prefer not altering the seal type. It looks like e.g. black vortek seal for the 35 is shorter than the original HW seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    I remember lusting after the 35 E (22'' barrel and walnut) and not being able to afford one but I am certain that they were FAC rated at one point in the mistaken belief that the longer barrel increased muzzle velocity and I don't know when this was reversed.
    Does any one else remember this?

I remember Optima Leisure of Bolton advertising HW35s Export and Standard in AGW that had been seized by the Home Office when imported and tested. The H O labels were still attached when advertised for sale and I saw a few rifles when I called in. The owner said all these guns had flown out. I always did wonder if this was just a crafty sales ploy. Of the rifles tested and also the pellet testing series in AGW in the late 70's (?) showed that the 22" barreled Export, if anything, was lower in power than the 19" barrel standard. But like I always say - if your going to have one, have a long one.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hw35e

Once saw a HW35E and the owner had fitted a HW slip on silencer to it just in case 22 inch wasn't long enough!!. Mach 1.5

The "look" at the time was without iron sights.
    Moderators and silencers were really "another thing for gunshops to sell" rather than anything useful. The rifles were noisy enough around the farm buildings.
    I think the American market was wanting the longer "Kentucky" barrel. Don't air rifles behave like black powder muzzle loaders?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post

I think the American market was wanting the longer "Kentucky" barrel. Don't air rifles behave like black powder muzzle loaders?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I think the American market was wanting the longer "Kentucky" barrel.
    Joking aside, from what I can gather, the 22" E barrel appears to be rarely seen in America.
    The 35E sold in the states was designated the HW35EB which had a 19" barrel and was imported by Beeman, hence the B in the designation.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by KarlSwe View Post
    Thank you Mick!

That could be an option, but I would prefer not altering the seal type. It looks like e.g. black vortek seal for the 35 is shorter than the original HW seal.
    Thinking about this again, Karl.

If you wanted to stroke the gun by 2mm but keep the piston standard you could machine off the factory arbor + 2mm of piston front face, thread the latchrod and screw a new arbor on 2mm back in order to take a standard 35 seal --- whether the gain would be worth the work is debatable though.

The reason I only stroke to 71mm is that I've found this to be the maximum the 35 will go to without altering the stock.

All the best Mick

Maybe the longer barrel was just a German thing to try and make the 35 look slimmer, less Hippo like Fat German wearing stilettos?

Lol!

Or it may have been to provide a longer sight base when using the excellent open sights (especially considering scopes will have been a rare addition back in the day) and to give more leverage for easier cocking.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

That would be too sensible

Military iron sight simulator? Or just put a rear peep sight on and do it properly?

I think a fair few will have, indeed, had a rear peep put on, mainly to engage paper & bell targets.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I think a fair few will have, indeed, had a rear peep put on, mainly to engage paper & bell targets.
    I got one last year with a diopter. It was a new one, in .177 and I short stroked it. A good friend and ex AGW writer has it now, his son is using it at our club's junior range. It would certainly look the part, but in .22 I don't know if it's really appropriate?

[IMG][/IMG]

Isn't that what the HW55 was all about; a paper puncher?
    For those who couldn't afford the Original 66.

I shot one of my best 6m/10m? cards with a 66, many moons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Once saw a HW35E and the owner had fitted a HW slip on silencer to it just in case 22 inch wasn't long enough!!. Mach 1.5
    I have a HW35E 'Vixen' that the previous owner fitted with an Air Logic adaptor and screw in silencer which retains the use of the tunnel foresight. - It is long !

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I got one last year with a diopter. It was a new one, in .177 and I short stroked it. A good friend and ex AGW writer has it now, his son is using it at our club's junior range. It would certainly look the part, but in .22 I don't know if it's really appropriate?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Lovely.