Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: HW35 Export?

While there's a HW35 thread up...

Springs and pre-load. I recently bought a new HW35E from Schneider, along with their export spring (240mm long, OD 23mm, ID 15.8mm, wire 3.6mm). It was an utter sod to get in; maybe 4cm of pre-load. I was expecting it to shoot horribly, but it's not bad and it's within the limit. Cocking effort is not terrible, but is significantly higher than I remember my FWB127 to be.

It seems everyone else manages to fit a spring with next to no pre-load. I'm tempted to try cutting it down in order to achieve this, but given that it shoots okay, is there anything to be gained?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    While there's a HW35 thread up...

Springs and pre-load. I recently bought a new HW35E from Schneider, along with their export spring (240mm long, OD 23mm, ID 15.8mm, wire 3.6mm). It was an utter sod to get in; maybe 4cm of pre-load. I was expecting it to shoot horribly, but it's not bad and it's within the limit. Cocking effort is not terrible, but is significantly higher than I remember my FWB127 to be.

It seems everyone else manages to fit a spring with next to no pre-load. I'm tempted to try cutting it down in order to achieve this, but given that it shoots okay, is there anything to be gained?
    That sounds a bit over sprung to me.

I have one HW35 running an Ox Spring with no preload at 12 ftlbs and another running with a HW50 Spring at 12 ftlbs so I'd have a little play with different springs if I were you.

All the best Mick

I also have a '35 with an Ox spring doing 11.5ft/bs (.22) with no pre-load on the spring. I was very reluctant to use an Ox but I'm glad I did. I also sealed the breech and gained a ft/lb m.e. so I gave an Ox a try. Im glad I did.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

I have one HW35 running an Ox Spring with no preload at 12 ftlbs and another running with a HW50 Spring at 12 ftlbs so I'd have a little play with different springs if I were you.

All the best Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I also have a '35 with an Ox spring doing 11.5ft/bs (.22) with no pre-load on the spring. I was very reluctant to use an Ox but I'm glad I did. I also sealed the breech and gained a ft/lb m.e. so I gave an Ox a try. Im glad I did.
    Thanks Mick and I.J. That will keep me occupied next weekend.

Matt

I kept the best till last. Normay Vixen Export.

The '35 in all its guises is THE classic air rifle.
    Serious eye candy and music to my ears.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

All the best Mick
    My cosmetically challenged old knackerbag of a workhorse (running the later piston from yourself, Mick) runs at 11 in .177 using V-Mach spring and guides. Not actually measured preload. It will be running a slight amount, but the rear guide base sits below the level of the cylinder end, so preload amount will be less than the length of the threaded section. Makes strip-down and build super-easy!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Thumbs up

' Eight?' Young upstarts. 19 at the last count (the beggars breed ) including 6 Vixens with another on its way.

I once bought a s/h 'ball bag' '35 with a original ugly varnished stock.

With a bit of work I found this underneath.

WOW!!, Some beautiful hardware there Ian!!

I've never managed to drop on one of those old round pistol gripped wanlnut stocks with chequering yet

I have a ropey old Hofmann Premier with the rounded pistol grip bottom but it's plain stained beech and no chequered panels

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

All the best Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    My cosmetically challenged old knackerbag of a workhorse (running the later piston from yourself, Mick) runs at 11 in .177 using V-Mach spring and guides. Not actually measured preload. It will be running a slight amount, but the rear guide base sits below the level of the cylinder end, so preload amount will be less than the length of the threaded section. Makes strip-down and build super-easy!
    I've just taken the spring out and cut off maybe 1.5 cm then collapsed a coil and polished the end. It now has the spring showing about 1cm past the cylinder thread, and was very easy to put back together. It's noticeably easier to cock and it shoots quite nicely - still needs running in. Thanks for the advice!

Matt

Excellent. Glad to hear you found it useful. And it should still keep improving as it runs in. Keep enjoying.