Thread: Gun cabinets

Gun cabinets

Over the years I've often had Mark's on my guns through cocking bolts off other guns and lock edges in the cabinets, I've recently sold a lot of my guns so now down to a couple of cabinets , Ive taken the holders off inside so the cabinets are npba inside , All my guns now are inside cases and standing next to each other, They are in a separate room in the house and wanted to ask would they be at any risk left inside gun cases inside of the cabinets, Cheers.

Good question. The gun cases would need to be completely dry to start with. If you've been out all day in damp conditions I would want to dry them thoroughly.
    The other concern would be how long would the guns sit in the cabinet between outings?

An alternative would be a 'sock'. JSR sell these for less than six quid on eday.

Regards Mike
    Last edited by benchstop; 11-08-2022 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Socks

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    Good question. The gun cases would need to be completely dry to start with. If you've been out all day in damp conditions I would want to dry them thoroughly.
    The other concern would be how long would the guns sit in the cabinet between outings?

An alternative would be a 'sock'. JSR sell these for less than six quid on eday.

Regards Mike
    Oh thanks very much for that , I will defo look at them , Got a couple of wide guns with the scopes , AA arms jackal, Rapids and a air ranger , The rest are springers , I'll check how wide they are , Cheers bud,

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post

Regards Mike
    I've got a separate case for taking the guns out , Saying that them socks look great , I may just order a couple and if they fit the scoped ones then I can always order some more, On the other hand they would be ideal to take the gun shooting rather than lug a case over the shoulder. Could be the answer,

Cut a large bit of cardboard or similar to size, place between the rifles. No need to store in bags or socks.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Or do it properly, find a shop that sells foam, to replace seat cushions etc, & make custom spacer's for the cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Or do it properly, find a shop that sells foam, to replace seat cushions etc, & make custom spacer's for the cabinets.
    Would be handy but the locks still stick out on the doors and it's a bugger if you want the guns on the right.

I've lined parts of my cabinet with that foam the misses uses for her yoga mats. She didn't notice she has loads 😅
    The worst offender was the bolts, they stick out a fair bit, so I've covered them with blanking caps, similar to old style photo film canisters, and I now keep my guns in socks (if they fit in one).
    The worst offender by a long shot was the bottom, that's scratched a lot of guns
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Foam

The only problem with seating foam is that it is Open cell foam. If you oil your rifles before putting them in the cabinet, which you should always do, the structure of the cells can and do absorb the oil off the blacking. This can and occasionally does leave imprints/marks on the action where the oil has been drawn into the foam. The other reason for not using foam is humidity or moisture getting into the foam and the possibility of rust forming over time.
    Been there! Had that unfortunate T shirt.

Mark.

Buy bigger cabinates. My zugil holds 16 guns but i only put 14 in it and they sit tidy in there with that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zero View Post
    The only problem with seating foam is that it is Open cell foam. If you oil your rifles before putting them in the cabinet, which you should always do, the structure of the cells can and do absorb the oil off the blacking. This can and occasionally does leave imprints/marks on the action where the oil has been drawn into the foam. The other reason for not using foam is humidity or moisture getting into the foam and the possibility of rust forming over time.
    Been there! Had that unfortunate T shirt.

Mark.
    A shop that sells open cell foam will usually also sell closed cell foam, same as the original spacer, that's what I used.
    I haven't experienced the other issues you mentioned, so cannot comment on them.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Buy bigger cabinates. My zugil holds 16 guns but i only put 14 in it and they sit tidy in there with that amount.
    I've been tempting to get rid of them as I have a gun room, Plus I'm trying to downsize. I'll keep an eye on them in the cases at mo but they do get a regular coat of clp which seems to be good,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think there was any legal requirement to keep sub 12 ft/lbs guns in a cabinet. A large locked wardrobe is sufficient, and by the sound of things a lot less susceptible to damp and gun damage.

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think there was any legal requirement to keep sub 12 ft/lbs guns in a cabinet. A large locked wardrobe is sufficient, and by the sound of things a lot less susceptible to damp and gun damage.

Lakey
    The room has been made to hold guns and some of my other gear,, The door has mortice locks and nobody under the age of 18 lives here, I had over 20 guns here a few weeks ago so just a piece of mind really should someone break in, Some cant be replaced so just making sure , The odd one or two may be ideal in a cupboard of some kind but I feel a bit more piece of mind while in cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post

Lakey
    You're quite right, there is no legal requirement, but many of us still do so for peace of mind.