Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget Pellets - Wasps Marksman SMK's

Budget Pellets - Wasps Marksman SMK's

I reckon it might be useful to have a thread if anyone has POSITIVE experiences from Wasps in 177 22 (and 5.6 if available) Marksman, and SMK's

I'm not sure it's really helpful to make negative posts, but I will start off another thread just for folk who really feel the need to just make negative posts ..so perhaps this could read more like ' yep 'xxx' work OK in my Blah di Blah rifle ....
    Just these budget pellets - SMK, Wasp, Marksman ......
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Old wasps where awesome.
    Master Debater

Wasps worked well in my Taunus, 5.6mm im sure.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Old wasps where awesome.
    Agreed. The new stuff is the exact opposite.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Smile Marksman

I have Marksman .25 .22 and 5.6 .22.
    The .25 s work fairly well in my 99s and are only marginally bettered by more expensive H & Ns. Good for plinking. Only 19.2 gr.
    Standard dome head .22s work well enough in my BSAs for plinking, well enough for me to order 5 tins more a few days ago.

I think both have the odd flyer but it's more likely they and the guns are better than me ( free standing).
    I bought the 5.6 for my Mk1 Airsporter and could not notice any difference between them and and 5.5 standard Marksman.

I tried the 5.6s in my Mk6 Airsporter and they would not seat in the loading port without being pushed in. the 5.5s fit in the port perfectly.

I'm happy enough with them but when criticised always ask What barn door?

Got them use them. Cheap short range & open sight plinking !
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

As per the other thread Marksman .25 seem to work very well in Hatsan Rifles & were very reasonable straight out of the tin in my BSA Supersport with the .243" barrel.

New Wasp 5,6!

I bought three boxes (15,000) of these when they first produced them for £84.00 to plink with in my old springers and on my
    25 yard range I splat paint balls, skittle plastic soldiers and batter the spinners. I have used over 10,000 can't remember
    having a bad pellet and I have checked loads of them because of the bad reports I have read but I can only speak for
    myself .

I also use excite HAMMER from JSR in my springers and I've checked them with a magnifyer as well for squashed skirts
    and swarf and they are clean.

The .177 excite hammer are really good.

Old wasps were good, new ones were terrible. I think they needed more tin in the mixture to make them cast properly.

Wasps in the old days around the 1980 were the bench mark for testing comparing other pellets with air rifles, they always gave good accuracy mostly in rifles, always in good quality and made by a well established ammo company Eley, what could go wrong apart from them selling off the company.

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Wasps in the old days around the 1980 were the bench mark for testing comparing other pellets with air rifles, they always gave good accuracy mostly in rifles, always in good quality and made by a well established ammo company Eley, what could go wrong apart from them selling off the company.
    I still have 4 tins of wasps i bought back in 1988/89ish.what they fetch on the bay of evil now is getting silly. They will be worth more than gold soon

New Eley Wasp pellets .177

Decided to get a tin of Wasp pellets for the vintage BSA's i have, not what i expected more like JPS style pellets certainly not the old style wasp with straight lines around the middle body, just plain, made in Germany but in original Wasp red tin format and sealed with a tape around the screw lid just like H&N pellets. Not yet tried them but has any one used them.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    My BSA Standard 2 loves marksman
    Pete

My old webleys (mk3 and falcon) and the airsporters mk1,2,4 and 6 liked the 5.6mm marksman pellets and produced the tightest groups over all from these old imperial barrels , all on open Sights, I e tried the 5.5mm dome and pointed in a few rifles and haven't had much luck with them.. however I am expecting single hole grouping as that's what the gun is capable of... to be fair to them, for the price I have no complaints and they add an extra dimension to 25 yard can bashing and are therefore good value for money. I live in hope of finding a barrel that likes them as I do go through a lot of pellets and they would save me a fair few quid!

I use Marksman 177 in my old Mk1 Meteor , just as a plinker with my kids.

Also use them in my Crosman Pump rifle, just as a short range , 15 metre plinker .

My experience with SMK was not the best, mind you, I last bought these about 15 years ago, no idea if they are improved .