Thread: HW95 / 98 MK1 barrel Myth or Fact?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HW95 / 98 MK1 barrel Myth or Fact?

I've heard a few times that the MK1 95 / 98 barrels are the best HW did. I know a few shooters who use 95 barrels on HW80's as they have a goodun. Surely HW just run off 16mm barrels for 95, 98, 80 etc and not hand pick them for 95 & 98 back then. A good friend and tuner also told me this but I thought if was April 1st and his great sence of humour? Mach 1.5

I definitely had a dodgy 22 early star nut barrel

I reckon that there was a golden era of quality where modern cnc met old fashioned 'make it the best we can' values

I have new star nut barrels and older barrels that are spot on, and had some older barrels are are not as 'pin point' as HW CAN be. I have an 85 (bought action only off here, with a 95 piston in it from someone who should have known better) where it took ages to find a matched 85 barrel. That barrel which needed a re blue, and was shimmed in V Mach era, is very pellet fussy for an HW. Thankfully it's like a laser with .......Superfield. As well as was there a golden age, how many folk really (really really) put in pellet testing legwork ? Most barrels will be excellent with something.

IMO the best HW barrels love FTT, Shoot all the JSB derivatives, and will also shoot RWS great.

So, no I think that pinning it down to 'MK 1 95's were as good a sit got' is too general / not true

The 16 inch barrel MK1 95's, which at that time came with well finished internals, springs too, had the barrel weight as we all know. 'Pre internet' - no one I knew had a problem with them being tricky to shoot. I had a MK1 95 at that time, it was great. I wish I'd kept it !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I think usually when a company launches a new product line they would use the best quality in all the components,
    I mean why on launching a new line would they want it to fail.

I have always suspected the mk1s on any production gun has the best .. usually on the second and third and nxt generation guns the quality slips, could slip..

I am guessing the early 95s had good quality barrel blanks..

I know I have had this conversation time and time again at the boinger bashes

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have a 16" .22 HW95 with muzzle weight. It's properly good gun, and very accurate with FTT and AA fields.
    To be fair I haven't done direct comparison testing with newer guns, but the time could be right.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice looking rifle Nick, 0)

Yep; 'tis a beaut.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!