Thread: Cast lead bullets- best homemade lube in uk

Cast lead bullets- best homemade lube in uk

I've just started home casting, been reloading for 25yrs and wanted to add to my skills.
    Started out with a lee 358 158gn rnfp die. Also decided on pan lubed over alox. Using range scrap cleaned and fluxed.
    Watched a lot of YouTube videos on lubeing, but tends to be mainly North American recipes.
    From this I've made a uk recipe substituted the USA staple "johnson paste wax" with UK available briwax.
    Just loaded up 100 of these rounds after pan lube and sizing to 358 with a lee sizer.

Recipe
    400g briwax
    400g vaseline
    400g beeswax
    2 tbsp of stp fuel additive
    1 wax crayon for colour.

Will see how the barrel leading is after 50 shots.

Just wandering what other people use for pan lubing pistol calibre nitro bullets? I also quite like the look of Ben's red using lithium bearing grease. Any thoughts?

J
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

Not pistol but .303 for me. I powder coat and when hardened (give it a week) then roll them in a mix of alox and a liquid polish which dries nicely.

Does the job well with no leading and a nice shiny bore.

Leading is more to do with hard undersized bullets.
    I use JPW mixed with Lee alox 50/50 for tumble lubing.
    Never used JPW for use in lubrisizer.
    I use mainly beeswax with a small amount of paraffin and a spoon full of ATF.
    I leave it in a saucepan and warm it up when needed and pour it into the lubesizer.
    I have used this with rifle bullets up to 2100 fps with not a hint of leading or fouling.
    You can make your own lube moulds from upvc tubing and dowel.

Liquid allox or Felix lube but with calcium soap instead of standard soap.

I'm currently working with briwax with some Lee tumble lube bullets. Just a nob of the briwax in a tin or plastic bag, swirl in a hundred or so bullets then tip out to dry. The lube i usually use is soap based, so has to be used through a lubresizer. A good general purpose lube is a simple mix of lithium grease and beeswax. For pan lubing black powder bullets I use a mix of vaseline and beeswax that apparently works well with high pressure smokeless loads.

As already pointed out, leading is rarely a lubricant issue but is due to bullets being under size or the wrong hardness.

I did try a mixture based on red rubber lube. It was great but then I read the safety sheet for this grease and thought it was a bad idea to breathe it in.

Thanks for info everyone.
    Yes alox looks simple solution, but I like shiny bullets with a proper lube band .
    Interesting about the red lube toxicity, I have also been told alox is not to be used indoors, I think its also made from oxidised grease?
    My bullets are casting out at .364 from Lee dies, I have been sizing to 358 with the lee sizing die.
    I may purchase a lyman4500 in the future as also planning to produce wadcutters for taurus revolver.
    J
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

Liquid allox is a commercial preserving oil. It is oil and calcium soap.