Thread: Lubing powder measure

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly

Lubing powder measure

Hi guys,

Possibly a stupid question. I've been reading about lubing a new powder measure with a dry graphite spray, but I'm wondering if a dry PTFE spray would work instead? Simple reason is I can get dry PTFE from Halfords but slightly worried that it might contaminate the powder.

Thoughts appreciated.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Don't see any need to lube a powder measure at all. Why risk contaminating it with anything?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Renegade Master......

Over the years I have used most of the common powder throwers - Lee, Lyman and RCBS.

I learnt to re-load by spending time with other experienced shooters when I first started handloading my own ammo, and I've never heard of anyone lubing their powder thrower?

I think that my experience with the Lyman has been that when using flake powders the rotary motion could drag very fine flakes in with use and it could begin to bind, I simply limited the use of the Lyman thrower to ball or cylindrical powders and NOT flake.

The key to good operation was the occasional strip down and clean.

hope this helps
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Master View Post
    Hi guys,

Possibly a stupid question. I've been reading about lubing a new powder measure with a dry graphite spray, but I'm wondering if a dry PTFE spray would work instead? Simple reason is I can get dry PTFE from Halfords but slightly worried that it might contaminate the powder.

Thoughts appreciated.
    I only have a Lee powder thrower and operation was transformed after giving the rotating part a light dusting of Molykote "Z" Powder (Moly Dry Powder). I don't believe that it has contaminated anything, as the amount required was so tiny and it seems to last a long time.

The spray when dry will not contaminate your powder or get one of those large soft carpenters pencils and rub it all over the drum to give it a coating of graphite.

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly
    Many thanks for the advice guys.