Thread: Prewar machining excellence

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    A quality rifle indeed.

Another nice touch is the fact that the rear sight blade runs in a slot that is blind ( doesnt run all the way to the bottom of the base ), which is different to most of the other turret rear sight's that you see. Another mark of machining quality. I bet it was an expensive rifle in its day.

Very interesting thing.

Lakey
    Look at the machining on the front sight, the little bevel on the post! Crazy detail that few would ever notice? Machining art.

Last edited by 45flint; 11-09-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Look at the machining on the front sight, the little bevel on the post! Crazy detail that few would ever notice? Machining art.

Love the attention to detail. Very nice indeed.

Lakey

I love those details too. Especially where the work is done on several planes - and so I imagine must be very complex to do without CNC hardware.

Such as this pre-WW1 Diana trigger block:

And the front sight on this postwar HW35 1st series.

Last edited by Garvin; 11-09-2022 at 06:48 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

The WRHP front sight, and the miniature 1905 Britannia rearsight are both nicely machined too.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    The WRHP front sight, and the miniature 1905 Britannia rearsight are both nicely machined too.

Matt
    Talking of which, another postwar sight that is machined with prewar skill is the Falke 80/90 rearsight:

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Talking of which, another postwar sight that is machined with prewar skill is the Falke 80/90 rearsight:

Very nice,
    The reputation of that rearsight is well deserved.

Impressive work. Thank you for all these fascinating photos.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

From an era when there was pride in your product rather than built to a price.
    Standards of living for the working man being much poorer giving cheap labour helped enormously

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    From an era when there was pride in your product rather than built to a price.
    Standards of living for the working man being much poorer giving cheap labour helped enormously
    It's Just a steel casting, like the prewar BSA units, or an old Williams /host of other makers .granted a nicely detailed one but not a machined part I would say personally, the skill would have been by the pattern / die maker.

The breech blocks on say militias and other older German stuff are also often forgings, giving various shapes which can't be got by machine tools in a sensible price / time, but hand finished in a time when time was cheaper to some extent.

In the 1920. a BSA Standard would be a weeks wages for a time served fitter / turner, so in todays money maybe £450-500 take home a week.

So looking at the bonkers prices of some top end PCP's and even TX's and Prosports, guns actually cost more now!

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 14-09-2022 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    It's Just a steel casting, like the prewar BSA units, or an old Williams /host of other makers .granted a nicely detailed one but not a machined part I would say personally, the skill would have been by the pattern / die maker.

The breech blocks on say militias and other older German stuff are also often forgings, giving various shapes which can't be got by mahine tools in a sensible price time, but hand finished in a time when time was cheaper to some extent.

In the 1920. a BSA Standard would be a weeks wages for a time served fitter / turner, so in todays money maybe £450-500 take home a week.

So looking at the bonkers prices of some top end PCP's and even TX's and Prosports, guns actually cost more now!

ATB, Ed
    “forgings usually require further processing (such as machining) to achieve a finished part.” Have to take a closer look when I get home.

To my way of thinking there is undoubtedly skilfully machining evident on some of the older pre war air rifles/pistols & indeed some are very well finished with regards to polishing & blueing but isn't that just part of the story? I think that the design is in some way or another fundamental in bringing about the whole. If the design is not particularly good aesthetically or functionally then the other processes cannot retrieve the situation. It's this combination which in my opinion makes some of the older examples from various makers more interesting than others.

edbear2 Guest
    “forgings usually require further processing (such as machining) to achieve a finished part.” Have to take a closer look when I get home.
    BSA cast units for comparison, and a trigger guard.As you say further ops are done in some cases, ie. the spotface and tapping of the guard in the second picture, but honestly although old air rifles are often better made in respect of using castings and forgings, and aesthetic touches, most is very basic in terms of engineering and often just removing sharp edges and the like.

Older air rifles are just like anything else made say in the same period, be it tools or cars / motorbikes etc. before the bean counters took over.

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    BSA cast units for comparison, and a trigger guard.As you say further ops are done in some cases, ie. the spotface and tapping of the guard in the second picture, but honestly although old air rifles are often better made in respect of using castings and forgings, and aesthetic touches, most is very basic in terms of engineering and often just removing sharp edges and the like.

Older air rifles are just like anything else made say in the same period, be it tools or cars / motorbikes etc. before the bean counters took over.

ATB, Ed
    Don’t really disagree but to me he artfully removed the sharp edge. Just a nice simple touch, something you don’t see on the BSA or other sights. Even the rounding and shaping of the bead?

Last edited by 45flint; 14-09-2022 at 10:54 AM.