Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prewar machining excellence

Prewar machining excellence

I just acquired a prewar FLZ rifle and I just noticed a machined screw that was contoured to the tube to make it almost disappear except for the slot. Curious have any of you seen this in another airgun? I’m sure its not unique but I can’t remember seeing it anywhere?

Last edited by 45flint; 11-09-2022 at 01:02 AM.

Very nice touch, on a very nice rifle.
    I wonder why they didn't provide the same treatment to the other screws, too?

Regards Mike

A quality rifle indeed.

Another nice touch is the fact that the rear sight blade runs in a slot that is blind ( doesnt run all the way to the bottom of the base ), which is different to most of the other turret rear sight's that you see. Another mark of machining quality. I bet it was an expensive rifle in its day.

Very interesting thing.

Lakey

that is a nice touch,any wear in the breech would need taking up with a shim.these look very nice rifles,top quality old school craftmanship.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I just acquired a prewar FLZ rifle and I just noticed a machined screw that was contoured to the tube to make it almost disappear except for the slot. Curious have any of you seen this in another airgun? I’m sure its not unique but I can’t remember seeing it anywhere?

Probably just flashed over by linisher (after being tightened into the action) pre bluing, a simple and quick process if you think about it, means the screw needed to be kept in the action it fitted though afterwards.

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    A quality rifle indeed.

Another nice touch is the fact that the rear sight blade runs in a slot that is blind ( doesnt run all the way to the bottom of the base ), which is different to most of the other turret rear sight's that you see. Another mark of machining quality. I bet it was an expensive rifle in its day.

Very interesting thing.

Lakey
    Look at the machining on the front sight, the little bevel on the post! Crazy detail that few would ever notice? Machining art.

Last edited by 45flint; 11-09-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Look at the machining on the front sight, the little bevel on the post! Crazy detail that few would ever notice? Machining art.

Love the attention to detail. Very nice indeed.

Lakey

I love those details too. Especially where the work is done on several planes - and so I imagine must be very complex to do without CNC hardware.

Such as this pre-WW1 Diana trigger block:

And the front sight on this postwar HW35 1st series.

Last edited by Garvin; 11-09-2022 at 06:48 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

The WRHP front sight, and the miniature 1905 Britannia rearsight are both nicely machined too.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    The WRHP front sight, and the miniature 1905 Britannia rearsight are both nicely machined too.

Matt
    Talking of which, another postwar sight that is machined with prewar skill is the Falke 80/90 rearsight:

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Talking of which, another postwar sight that is machined with prewar skill is the Falke 80/90 rearsight:

Very nice,
    The reputation of that rearsight is well deserved.

Impressive work. Thank you for all these fascinating photos.

One of my favorite machining touches - on a comparatively ordinary mid-range model, the pre-war Diana 27.

1. Top of the breech block is cylindrical, on a larger diameter concentric with the round barrel.

2. This contour makes a straight line where it meets the flat sides of the block.

3. The top of the breech forks have neat narrow horizontal flats that exactly meet the same line; a neat and lovely styling detail that continued onto the first generations of the post-war, ball-sear model 27.

Last edited by MDriskill; 11-09-2022 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    One of my favorite machining touches - on a comparatively ordinary mid-range model, the pre-war Diana 27.

1. Top of the breech block is cylindrical, on a larger diameter concentric with the round barrel.

2. This contour makes a straight line where it meets the flat sides of the block.

3. The top of the breech forks have neat narrow horizontal flats that exactly meet the same line; a neat and lovely styling detail that continued onto the first generations of the post-war, ball-sear model 27.
    I totally agree Mike and would add one other small distinctive detail on Diana breach blocks that is very pleasing to the eye and strictly-speaking 'unnecessary': the front edge of the breech block is rounded forward of the link pivot/keeper screw holes.

Diana made this feature progressively more pronounced over the decades.

You can see this detail clearly here on a postwar mod 27:

As opposed to this later breach block where the manufacturer (Webley) hasn't bothered:

Last edited by Garvin; 11-09-2022 at 10:31 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

All of this reminds me of a sadly now departed relative who was a shipwright in a naval dockyard, apprenticed before the war. He hated the phrase “that’ll do”. In his world, things were either done correctly or, well, actually they were always done correctly

A good attitude if you are building submarines I suppose
    Morally flawed