Thread: Stock split adhesive advice please

Stock split adhesive advice please

Thanks for looking. Have used a few different products with some success but never able to get "invisible mend". Always seems to be darker than surround or will not take colour if lighter.
    Any solutions please?

Once set hard glue will not take a stain, so the best you can do is colour match it while still wet,
    you can get different shades of dye for barrel bedding which I have tried with different levels of success.

once set modelling paint can hide some but the wood & finish make a big difference.

The main reason my Rapid stocks are now Olive green is to hide the level of damage/repairs.

Stock split adhesive advice please

I stain the wood before gluing and the super glue dissolves the stain, becomes the same colour and is nearly invisible after the final finish is applied. Naturally the stain used w/ the super glue is the same stain used for the final finish or a stain that's pretty close.Copied from the muzzleloaders forum.

Staining repair

Try mixing some saw dust from the butt plate area with the glue. David

Pink Zap super glue will penetrate finest of cracks. It is very thin.

Depends if your repairing a split or a broken piece.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragle Jnr View Post
    Try mixing some saw dust from the butt plate area with the glue. David
    Personally, I would never advise that to glue a crack, as the bulk of the sawdust will prevent the crack from clamping fully closed.

otoh it is a good way to fill a hole or chip.

I have repaired dozens of stocks over the years and found the best glue to use is Gorilla glue in the brown bottle.
    Not only does it provide an unbreakable bond, it produces a fine brown foam that fills any irregularities in the repair and on many stocks makes the repair pretty well invisible.

The expanding wood glue (various types such as Gorilla ect..)makes a bond which is stronger than the timber itself 👌