Thread: Diana 30 Military Trainer in as good of condition as you could hope for

Diana 30 Military Trainer in as good of condition as you could hope for

My collecting has concentrated on prewar and I have started a nice collection of military trainers. When I saw this it was hard to resist. You always hope that the gun will live up to the pictures you see and this one certainly did. Built with prewar quality and the bluing is pretty much intact. What I immediately noticed is that the safety lever still has its color from hardening or what ever process they used? Not sure you can totally appreciate it from the pictures? I nor sure I have ever seen that on any of the trainers? As always I just can’t take too many pictures.

Would like to get a military strap that would fit does anyone know what I should be looking for?

https://imgur.com/a/yj0d2HR
    Last edited by 45flint; 17-09-2022 at 10:12 PM.

Hi Steve,

Very nice, once again.

Mine came with a sling but one intended for the Mauser K98k should fit.

Well done!

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Today is a shootout between these two. I don’t have a Haenel 33 but I have the next best thing a Anschutz 275, the same rifle really. I have never been able to find a Haenel 33 over here at a reasonable price. Military airguns tend to have a real premium here. I know the Anschutz is surprisingly accurate. Should be a fun afternoon. I am betting on the Diana plus its looks so cool.

How do you do it Steve?! That’s probably the best Diana model 30 I’ve ever seen. Assuming it’s all original and it certainly looks that way at first glance. Amazing! Congratulations.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    How do you do it Steve?! That’s probably the best Diana model 30 I’ve ever seen. Assuming it’s all original and it certainly looks that way at first glance. Amazing! Congratulations.
    Bluing is almost perfect but some scrapes and dings on the stock. Surprised there is no date on the stock butt. Not a powerhouse a little over 400 FPS with 7 grain pellet but super accurate. Dainty slender thing.
    Last edited by 45flint; 18-09-2022 at 04:53 PM.

Not surprising the Diana is pellet on pellet at my backyard distance of 20 feet. The 275 is good but not that good. Diana is a little more powerful but lacks the bolt realism. Makes for a really fun backyard rifle. Got a K98 repro sling on the way, should look pretty cool.

Fully dressed. A repro K98 sling fits perfectly and now I’m ready for a backyard battle.

This Diana 30 is such a hoot in the backyard. The tap is my favorite type of airgun. Gives me the feel of a more manageable Hakim but still a military feel. Crazy accurate but you have to hold it with care cause it’s lighter and can jump.

Must admit I enjoy mine. It propels Hobbys at over 500 FPS and is quite smooth to use.

I used it in a vintage competition at Bisley some years ago and she scored quite well against the BSAs and Webley Services that others were using. Tiny sight though!

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Must admit I enjoy mine. It propels Hobbys at over 500 FPS and is quite smooth to use.

I used it in a vintage competition at Bisley some years ago and she scored quite well against the BSAs and Webley Services that others were using. Tiny sight though!

Kind regards,

John
    I’ve been taking mine out quite a bit now and I do think it would be a hoot in a vintage competition. It has a much thinner cylinder than my other trainers and it really lends itself to being a target rifle with much less snap than in my more powerful training rifles. It would be a real sleeper against a BSA Light? Lol But unfortunately here nowhere to shoot vintage.

Hi, Cannot get over the amazing condition of your rifle. Your climate is kind to gun blue, seen some pics of fantastic etched Bsa underlevers on your side of the Atlantic. Was the Diana 30 exported to the USA before WW2 ? Or has your example made its way there independantly.
    Last edited by silva; 30-09-2022 at 09:17 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Hi, Cannot get over the amazing condition of your rifle. Your climate is kind to gun blue, seen some pics of fantastic etched Bsa underlevers on your side of the Atlantic. Was the Diana 30 exported to the USA before WW2 ? Or has your example mades its way there independantly.
    I don’t think these were ever imported. Bought at auction have no idea of its origin but GI’s brought back a lot of German guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I don’t think these were ever imported. Bought at auction have no idea of its origin but GI’s brought back a lot of German guns.
    Ha yes, all those Mauser .22's. Least yours survived not being dufflecut.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."