Thread: Scope repair help needed

Scope repair help needed

I’ve got a Nikko Stirling platinum 4-12x50ao gloss scope which I really like probably early 90s that I use on my feinwerkbau sport it’s in mint condition but the windage turret isn’t bringing the poi over to the right it’s going about 2” to the left, it worked perfect last time I used it but now can’t adjust it it’s definitely the scope as it’s doing the same on my longbow as well, so does anybody know how it can be fixed or if anybody can fix it for me
    Any help is gratefully received
    Thanks…Andy

Scope Repair

I believe Paul Burke is still doing scope repairs. Don't have his details to hand but I dare say another member will be along to provide them. Don't send it back to Nikko as they don't do scope repairs. If the repair is too much then place a wanted ad. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I believe Paul Burke is still doing scope repairs. Don't have his details to hand but I dare say another member will be along to provide them. Don't send it back to Nikko as they don't do scope repairs. If the repair is too much then place a wanted ad. Mach 1.5
    Thanks for the info mate it’s appreciated I just need some contact details now then hopefully I can get it sorted

Cheers!

Scope Repair

0121 788 1050. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    0121 788 1050. Mach 1.5
    Thank you for the phone number I’ve left a message on his answer phone so just have to wait and see what happens next

ATB Andy

Has the gun/scope had a knock?
    There is a possibility that the erector tube has got out of alignment and is stuck on one side or other of the elevation turret "post". You could try winding the elevation turret all the way "up", then all the way "down" and then back to the centre - then see if the windage turret moves the reticle. From memory I did this with another brand of scope and it has worked OK again since then

Quote Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
    Has the gun/scope had a knock?
    There is a possibility that the erector tube has got out of alignment and is stuck on one side or other of the elevation turret "post". You could try winding the elevation turret all the way "up", then all the way "down" and then back to the centre - then see if the windage turret moves the reticle. From memory I did this with another brand of scope and it has worked OK again since then
    Hi mate no it’s not had as knock line I said it was perfectly ok last weekend but this weekend it just will not adjust to the right, so I removed the scope from the mounts and put it on one of my other rifles into the mounts that’s on that rifle and it’s the same will not come over to the right so it’s definitely the scope looks like when I screw the windage screw out the reticle tube doesn’t push over to the right it’s seems like it’s stuck if that makes sense

The erector tube is usually pushed on one axis by screwing in the turret and pushed back the other way by a spring when you back the turret out.
    If you look in through the objective with the aid of a torch you can often see the actual workings,

You might be able to see inside if the spring has failed,
    or maybe if it's stuck winding the height adjuster up & down might wiggle it loose, tapping the saddle area with a wooden hammer handle or screwdriver handle might also jolt it loose if it's stuck

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    The erector tube is usually pushed on one axis by screwing in the turret and pushed back the other way by a spring when you back the turret out.
    If you look in through the objective with the aid of a torch you can often see the actual workings,

You might be able to see inside if the spring has failed,
    or maybe if it's stuck winding the height adjuster up & down might wiggle it loose, tapping the saddle area with a wooden hammer handle or screwdriver handle might also jolt it loose if it's stuck
    I have tried a as ll of those ideas and nothing makes any difference the only thing I haven’t done is shine a torch inside I’ll give that a try, I’ve pulled old scopes apart before and I’ve seen the little leaf type of spring that pushes the inner tube to the right as you screw the windage screw out and same on the horizontal screw so I’m pretty sure the spring must have failed hence the poi is constantly shooting 2” to the left if this theory is correct? By letting the inner tube push to the right does this mean the poi goes to the right?
    Thanks…Andy

L & R scope adjustment

Have you tried adjusting the L & R turret to both extremes to see if that will break free whatever is causing the problem as this may help? Good luck.

An old tip from another forum is to make a fist with your RIGHT hand and place it next to the turret that you want to adjust with your right thumb pointing in the direction that you want to move the POI and your fingers will point in the direction to turn for the adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by airgunner.177 View Post
    I have tried a as ll of those ideas and nothing makes any difference the only thing I haven’t done is shine a torch inside I’ll give that a try, I’ve pulled old scopes apart before and I’ve seen the little leaf type of spring that pushes the inner tube to the right as you screw the windage screw out and same on the horizontal screw so I’m pretty sure the spring must have failed hence the poi is constantly shooting 2” to the left if this theory is correct? By letting the inner tube push to the right does this mean the poi goes to the right?
    Thanks…Andy
    I think you move the front of the inner tube the opposite way to the required sighting change.

I have had this problem and the cause of it was the lube used inside on the sprung mechanism hardening and jamming any movement. Placing somewhere warm will soften the lube and allow the movement required.