Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scales to weight pellets.

Scales to weight pellets.

I have a set of cheap scales which I'm currently weighing pellets on but they aren't that accurate. I.E. when weighing some 10.5gn pellets it might show up as 10.4gn or 10.6gn as it goes up or down in .2 digits. Are there any scales at a reasonable price that the digits actually go up in digits of .01 as in say 10.47, 10.48, etc? If there are could you let me know what brand of scales to look for.
    Thanks.

Generally any reloading scales for weighing powder are very accurate, just google or look firearms shops websites
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I use RCB RANGEMASTER 2000 ELECTRONIC SCALE they are now expensive

Or just change it to grams and you will get 2 decimal places.

Thanks for the replies I've ordered the following off Amazon which weighs in grains in .00 and comes with a 50g calibration weight all for just under £17.00
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORIA-Calibr...%2C290&sr=8-56

You need something like a gempro 250 that measures to 0.02 grain. Using the cheap scales is a false economy as consistency is the key.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecochrane View Post
    Or just change it to grams and you will get 2 decimal places.
    I thought you were wrong but you are right. If the resolution in grains is 0.2 then a resolution in grams of .01 is better!

Absolute accuracy of scales isn't as important as comparing one pellet to another - relative against absolute.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell me I'm wrong again!
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

The Lee powder scales are cheap second hand because most reloaders prefer better ones. They come in kits and people get replacements. If you are measuring relative masses, the bad aspects of Lee scales may not matter.

If you have a friendly local pharmacist, take a common tablet ie, paracetamol, in its packaging and open the packaging in front of them and ask to have it weighed. Just explain you're calibrating some scales and just checking. Always handy for reference.

TBH I've never seen any difference in POI for 0.1gn so I really can't see why anyone short of Olympic/World champion level would bother with 0.01gn.
    & it certainly doesn't matter setting muzzle energy.
    +/- 0.2gn probably has less effect than a heartbeat.
    But each to their own.

Exactly Mr Bear, been there done that and the sizing thing.
    Just buy decent pellets and learn to shoot, as, YOU are always the weakest link.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quite a few aren't really grasping this. As an example of JSB 8.44gr .177. Lowest weight can be 8.2 and highest can be 8.7, even with a decent batch that has good weights you can have a 25 to 30 fps spread, which can mean being world champion or not. I suppose it depends on what level you are shooting at.

There's a reason why the majority at the top of FT, HFT and BR weigh pellets.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

There are those who do and those who don't. Those who do, know.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Quite a few aren't really grasping this. As an example of JSB 8.44gr .177. Lowest weight can be 8.2 and highest can be 8.7, even with a decent batch that has good weights you can have a 25 to 30 fps spread, which can mean being world champion or not. I suppose it depends on what level you are shooting at.

Which means exactly how much change in POI at 55, exactly how many millimetres.
    Used to weigh them, size them and lube them. All makes very little difference in reality.
    When you are doing half inch groups and shooting at 40mm targets, and you miss, you have calculated the wind wrong not the range, generally.
    I used to shoot at that level too and same grade in NEFTA as you Chris, but for me it was fun, never took it that serious (no money involved, apart from getting sponsored and given free kit). Not for a while though, life gets in the way.
    Think we used to attend maybe 5 shoots in a season as some clubs just weren't worth the travelling to. Turn up, embarrass reigning and ex world champs and go home.
    I think though if it works for YOU, then carry on. Placebo effect and all that. I would place practicing your shooting technique to constantly achieve tight groups and reading the wind, over any pellet TLC.
    My Crossman Prems 7.9 never varied as much as the stated .7Gn, or move in the wind like the JSBs, so maybe look at different pellets, but like I have said in past just because a champ uses a particular make rifle, pellet or weighs them does not mean copying him it will work for you.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Yes, but you're talking about 0.5gn spread which can make a difference,
    if you say 0.5gn =30fps then 0.01gn = 7 inches per second, I doubt many rifles are that consistent shot to shot.

There's a limit at which such things cease to have any measurable influence.