Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scales to weight pellets.

It's the elimination of any minor tolerances that can make a difference, like I said 1mm at 45 yards could be the difference between world champ or not. I have seen UKAHFT season lost on a single target between 1st and 2nd....that's after 9 x 30 shot courses.

I could ask those that dont weigh what major trophies they have won.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

I've only bought the scales as the last set were cheap and weren't very accurate. I only want more accurate weight of the pellet for when I chronograph my rifles so having a more accurate ft/lb reading nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedmaster2 View Post
    I've only bought the scales as the last set were cheap and weren't very accurate. I only want more accurate weight of the pellet for when I chronograph my rifles so having a more accurate ft/lb reading nothing more.
    It's times like these that the 'Power guide for Airguns', good old Yellow Pages, is sorely missed.
    More seriously though, only the police force ft/lbs readings are the one's that count.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    It's the elimination of any minor tolerances that can make a difference, like I said 1mm at 45 yards could be the difference between world champ or not. I have seen UKAHFT season lost on a single target between 1st and 2nd....that's after 9 x 30 shot courses.

I could ask those that dont weigh what major trophies they have won.
    Missing a target at 45 by 1mm is YOU mis reading the elements, but that's only my opinion.
    You are right, I haven't won a world championship in HFT. Was never interested. Like I have said I never travelled to all shoots as quite a few weren't worth bothering with.
    On the shoots though that I did attend, some of the big 50 events and specials in NEFTA I have won and could regularly out point several ex and reigning champs on the course and sillies, with both a Rapid FT and a Ripley.
    I learned very early on from (10m match shooter) and (ex FT world champ) how to shoot freestanding and how important learning the wind was.
    On any given day we can all clear a course and be the best, on that day.
    Also, I have said that I used to weigh pellets but never had the extremes you do, used to size and lube them. The tiny gains just weren't worth the effort. I would just spend more time shooting in the elements to perfect my craft.
    Generally the weight of a pellet would shift POI up or down. 1mm at 45 with the kit you shoot is still pretty central of the target. Most are missed to the left or right or low left high right etc, due to the wind.
    Chris I have seen how passionate you are, and watched you through your toys out of the pram when it hasn't gone well. Having said that I have massive respect for you and your achievements, as in all sports, its takes true dedication to achieve what you have.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Missing a target at 45 by 1mm is YOU mis reading the elements, but that's only my opinion.
    You are right, I haven't won a world championship in HFT. Was never interested. Like I have said I never travelled to all shoots as quite a few weren't worth bothering with.
    On the shoots though that I did attend, some of the big 50 events and specials in NEFTA I have won and could regularly out point several ex and reigning champs on the course and sillies, with both a Rapid FT and a Ripley.
    I learned very early on from (10m match shooter) and (ex FT world champ) how to shoot freestanding and how important learning the wind was.
    On any given day we can all clear a course and be the best, on that day.
    Also, I have said that I used to weigh pellets but never had the extremes you do, used to size and lube them. The tiny gains just weren't worth the effort. I would just spend more time shooting in the elements to perfect my craft.
    Generally the weight of a pellet would shift POI up or down. 1mm at 45 with the kit you shoot is still pretty central of the target. Most are missed to the left or right or low left high right etc, due to the wind.
    Chris I have seen how passionate you are, and watched you through your toys out of the pram when it hasn't gone well. Having said that I have massive respect for you and your achievements, as in all sports, its takes true dedication to achieve what you have.
    I didn't mean my comment to sound so terse....after reading it back it does seem so. I should really have worded it more like .....the vast majority of shooters in the top group of FT/HFT weigh pellets. Missing by 1mm can be enough as even on my best days i can only expect to get between 2 and 3 yards of range estimation so have to hedge my bets and go Halfy halfy. That's when that 1mm can really save your bacon. I suspect we've both had the situation where a target is brightly lit by sunlight which, for me makes it appear closer...
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

You need a scale which goes to .001 of a gram - one thousandth

I have one like 265886470553 on the auction site - works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    You need a scale which goes to .001 of a gram - one thousandth

I have one like 265886470553 on the auction site - works fine.
    The scales I bought go to .001 of a gram but were a couple of pound dearer. Thanks for your reply though it's appreciated.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORIA-Calibr...%2C290&sr=8-56

Quote Originally Posted by Speedmaster2 View Post
    Then you only need weigh them to 1 decimal place , at 777pfs the difference between 8.2gn & 8.4gn is less than 0.3ftlb
    most rifles vary more than that across a string of 20shots.