Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
The standard of shooting was a lot better in the 80's.
There was no high powered sights and only spring powered rifles (until the late 80's when pcp started too appear).and they still cleared a course with a well tuned HW 77 and anything from a 4x40 to a 3-9x40 scope,the most popular was the tasco AG 2-7x32 AO with a duplex ret .
So it goes to show you don't need the high power scopes or the expensive pcp to compete .
Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
I do not, however, think that the standard of shooting was better in the 80s. Yes, technology has improved but you have to take into account the fact that target and course specifications have also changed. I wonder how many people would not agree that a UKAHFT course is now more difficult due to smaller kill zones etc than it was 20 years ago? I do not know about FT. Harder courses with smaller kill zones and terrible but impressive use of 'range traps' could well be affecting the scores of older competitors as their eyesight begins to play tricks on them.
Grow old gracefully is clearly the thing to do.
Cheers, Phil
Sorry, Ray. You're talking twaddle.

Yes, I must say, I was a better shot ears ago. That's easy for me to say. And they're just words and taken on trust. But I can't substantiate that claim. However, I KNOW I was a better shot back then as I had the opportunity to shoot and practice more often. Sometimes, these days, weeks can go by between sessions. And I mostly shoot seated now whereas, years ago, I practised from different positions. I am, however, as you know, a fan of The Boinger and low mag scopes.

I agree with Phil about the specifications of modern courses - distances, range traps, kill zone size etc.