Thread: Chair gun help/advice

Chair gun help/advice

Hi all,
    Have zeroed my scope at 12yds.
    Input zero in chair gun set up...
    Does a negative POI (mil) result mean I aim high (holdOVER) by negative measurement?
    Sorry can't figure how to post pics now!?
    Thanks guys
    Mark
    honest it was. . .
    Titan LightHunter .22 / BSA Ultra Multi .177 / AA s410 Carbine .22 / MK1 Rapid17 .177 / HW100KT .177 / Walther LGU... AlphaWolf 0.177

Just slow down, take a breath, & think

If you display both the graph & the table, it should all be obvious when you look at the trajectory curve.

If the table says the POI is -xyz, it means the POI is under the line of sight so you would need to aim high & hold over,
    If it just gives the figure that means the POI will be above the line of sight, at the apex of the trajectory, so you should aim a fraction low.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Just slow down, take a breath, & think

If you display both the graph & the table, it should all be obvious when you look at the trajectory curve.

If the table says the POI is -xyz, it means the POI is under the line of sight so you would need to aim high & hold over,
    If it just gives the figure that means the POI will be above the line of sight, at the apex of the trajectory, so you should aim a fraction low.
    Thanks Angrybear...
    I did think so, but, just wanted confirmation.
    New user to chairgun (APP) - always just kind of used my 'force' lol, not sure how to display all bits n bobs as yet either
    Cheers buddy
    ...M
    honest it was. . .
    Titan LightHunter .22 / BSA Ultra Multi .177 / AA s410 Carbine .22 / MK1 Rapid17 .177 / HW100KT .177 / Walther LGU... AlphaWolf 0.177

Chairgun trajectory chart

This may help as it is a Chairgun trajectory chart that closely matches my HW95L .22 actual.

Alicante, Birmingham and sometimes Munich
    Great though it once was, Hawke's Chairgun Pro was abandoned a while ago and hasn't been updated (or had the outstanding bugs fixed) for years.
    Could I suggest MERO as a substitute?
    The desktop versions for Windoze, MacOS and Linux are available from my domain (https://gpc.fotosoft.co.uk/MERO.html) or the Android version available from the Google Play Store.

George
    Last edited by GPConway; 25-09-2022 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks guys...
    Love a chart!
    Much appreciated...
    honest it was. . .

Quote Originally Posted by GPConway View Post
    Great though it once was, Hawke's Chairgun Pro was abandoned a while ago and hasn't been updated (or had the outstanding bugs fixed) for years.
    The desktop versions for Windoze, MacOS and Linux are available from my domain (https://gpc.fotosoft.co.uk/MERO.html) or the Android version available from the Google Play Store.

George
    George...
    I've downloaded it... but, sorry I cant figure it out?
    Thanks bud...
    honest it was. . .

Quote Originally Posted by itWASthere View Post
    George...
    I've downloaded it... but, sorry I cant figure it out?
    Thanks bud...
    Perhaps a brief skim through the helpfile would help.
    I know that RTFM is a nominal response but it is fairly comprehensive and, well, you never know...

Seriously though, try hovering the mouse-pointer over various elements to see the mini-help banners or right-clicking on various items to popup a context menu. It (probably ) won't crash on you and it might even be instructive.

Is it the desktop version you've downloaded (if so, which) or the Android item?

George

MERO app...

This looks interesting - however it does not appear to be downloading completely from the suggested website (using the Windows button) and the dowloaded file appears as "Unconfirmed 91000" with the following explanation provided by a file viewing programme:

"You are opening a file with "crdownload" extension. It is a temporary file used by the web browser to mark the download as incomplete until it is finished.
    Partial downloads are due to the fact that either the file is still being downloaded by the browser or that the download process was interrupted and so it's only a partial, incomplete file.
    If the browser is still downloading the file, please wait until the download has been completed by the browser, and the file will be renamed with the proper file extension.
    But If your browser download was interrupted before it was finished, you should delete the file and download it again."

Please could you offer advice on how to complete the download?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by severnsider View Post
    This looks interesting - however it does not appear to be downloading completely from the suggested website (using the Windows button) and the dowloaded file appears as "Unconfirmed 91000" with the following explanation provided by a file viewing programme:

"You are opening a file with "crdownload" extension. It is a temporary file used by the web browser to mark the download as incomplete until it is finished.
    Partial downloads are due to the fact that either the file is still being downloaded by the browser or that the download process was interrupted and so it's only a partial, incomplete file.
    If the browser is still downloading the file, please wait until the download has been completed by the browser, and the file will be renamed with the proper file extension.
    But If your browser download was interrupted before it was finished, you should delete the file and download it again."

Please could you offer advice on how to complete the download?

Thanks!
    Sorry, I haven't a clue what the message means or who/what created it.
    I'm not a habitual Windoze user but I've just spun up Win 10 and Win 11/x64 VMs on my Mac and they all downloaded/installed instantly (they would; the setup file - MERO_164_x86_Setup.exe - is less than ~ 2.2 MB).
    I can only suggest that you try it again checking that you're downloading for the appropriate platform.

George

George
    George, can you tell us what testing and verification the software has gone through to ensure a) it’s accuracy and repeatability, and probably more importantly b) it doesn’t introduce and viruses/malware/trojans etc. Thanks

Sorry, I haven't a clue what the message means or who/what created it.
    I'm not a habitual Windoze user but I've just spun up Win 10 and Win 11/x64 VMs on my Mac and they all downloaded/installed instantly (they would; the setup file - MERO_164_x86_Setup.exe - is less than ~ 2.2 MB).
    I can only suggest that you try it again checking that you're downloading for the appropriate platform.

George
    Thanks George,

Just tried it again after disabling a couple of the "Windows Defender" items and it downloaded absolutely fine. I should have thought of that earlier!

It looks to be a very helpful app. Thanks for making it available!

Cheers
    Mike.
    Last edited by severnsider; 11-12-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    George, can you tell us what testing and verification the software has gone through to ensure a) it’s accuracy and repeatability ...
    All of my ballistic applications seek to numerically solve the differential equations of motion evolved from Newtonian physics and are absolutely correct (well, very close anyway ). Like all such algorithms, my implementation depends strongly on the initial conditions so it's very much a case of mitigating the initial assumptions. The trick is avoiding the "Garbage In" so to minimise the "Garbage Out" or, on a practical level, knowing which parameters have the most potential to mess things up and concentrating on reducing/eliminating their uncertainty.
    I have a 150 metre open range at my finca and seasonal access to a 120 metre covered range (poly tunnel) on an adjacent property. I used both for confirmation testing in the early days but now only for amusement. Does repeatedly batting a 330 mL beer can up the range until there's nothing left to shoot at - or until the remains fall out of sight into a rambla some 115 metres away - count as accuracy and repeatability testing?
    MERO's been downloaded more than 5600 times from my website and, while I haven't had any negative comments that couldn't be satisfactorily resolved, I've had lots of positivity. I suppose that might say something.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    ...and probably more importantly b) it doesn’t introduce any viruses/malware/trojans etc. Thanks
    As it states on my website, I run everything through VirusTotal as well as a couple of other on-line virus checkers. The macOS and Linux implementations are always clean but the Windoze version sometimes generates the odd false-positive ... but then generating false-positives is a big part of their Windows-focussed business model after all. I send the usual emails of complaint to the offending vendors but I rarely get a response, never an apology.

At the end of the day, you take it or leave it. It's as easy to uninstall as it is to install in the first place.
    I found the concept useful and thought others might too. Simple as that.

George

Quote Originally Posted by itWASthere View Post
    Hi all,
    Have zeroed my scope at 12yds.
    Input zero in chair gun set up...
    Does a negative POI (mil) result mean I aim high (holdOVER) by negative measurement?
    Sorry can't figure how to post pics now!?
    Thanks guys
    Mark
    Personally, I would dump Chairgun and download the free version of Strelok. With Strelok you put in all your rifle data to set it up. Any range adjustment for the reticle will be will be shown in MOA or Meridans depending on what scope you have inputted and if you dont like that then press Reticle and it will show the aim point in mildots. Its idiot proof and that is why I like it.