Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: 158gn 38 bullets

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crayford, Kent, The Garden Of England
    Posts
    1,010

    158gn 38 bullets

    Could I ask where you are all buying your 38 bullets from.

    Iím down to my last 500 SWCís but now Iíve introduced my daughter to the pleasures of shooting they donít last long.

    Iím aware of Kranks but prices seem quite high now.

    Thanks

    Bill

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Daarn Saaarf!
    Posts
    18,410
    Hi Bill, not the answer you're looking for, but I bought a Lee melting pot and mould and make my own for free from range scrap.

    I have only just discovered revolvers, but at my current rate of 200 rounds a week the savings are stacking up!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crayford, Kent, The Garden Of England
    Posts
    1,010
    Hi Tinbum

    I have a melting pot as I make my own ball for black powder.

    The only concerns I have about casting my own 38ís is lubing them, seems like a lot of faff??

    How do you lube yours?

    Cheers

    Bill

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Daarn Saaarf!
    Posts
    18,410
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Hi Tinbum

    I have a melting pot as I make my own ball for black powder.

    The only concerns I have about casting my own 38ís is lubing them, seems like a lot of faff??

    How do you lube yours?

    Cheers

    Bill

    I use Lee Alox and a little white spirit, put it into a large Tupperware box with still warm (not hot) bullets and shake them until all are evenly covered. I make 300-400 bullets at a time, 1/2-3/4 inch of inox from the bottle, not the little spout and a couple of spoons white spirit. Shaking while dancing to Taylor Swift's "Shake it off" is about right.

    Spread out and leave to dry overnight and you're away.

    This may all be wrong, but it's what I do

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    184
    See my thread about 3 or 4 below.
    Started making 158gn bullets from range scrap.
    Initial outlay a few £100, but should recoup that after about 2000 bullets.
    I've ordered a 148gn wadcutter mold for my revolver as well now.
    J
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Watford
    Posts
    7,766
    If you don't mind using unjacketed bullets, you can buy lead ones ready to go

    https://itlshootingsupplies.co.uk/pr...t-heads/page/3

    Come to around 8p each.

    ITL sell jacketed ones too - more expensive of course.

    https://itlshootingsupplies.co.uk/pr...t-heads/page/2

    He is usually at Kempton, but do check with him.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Daarn Saaarf!
    Posts
    18,410
    Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    If you don't mind using unjacketed bullets, you can buy lead ones ready to go

    https://itlshootingsupplies.co.uk/pr...t-heads/page/3

    Come to around 8p each.

    ITL sell jacketed ones too - more expensive of course.

    https://itlshootingsupplies.co.uk/pr...t-heads/page/2

    He is usually at Kempton, but do check with him.

    8p?! I reload for less than I can buy .22lr

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Valleys of South Wales
    Posts
    2,014
    I wouldnít dream of buying 38 bullets. Home cast scrap lead then a teaspoon of lee alox lube per 500 or so stirred, not shaken, in a plastic zippy bag and dumped on a piece of greaseproof paper for a day. Job done, cost, nowt!
    DesG
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum !"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Daarn Saaarf!
    Posts
    18,410
    Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I wouldnít dream of buying 38 bullets. Home cast scrap lead then a teaspoon of lee alox lube per 500 or so stirred, not shaken, in a plastic zippy bag and dumped on a piece of greaseproof paper for a day. Job done, cost, nowt!
    Have you seen the price of bang buttons?! They've doubled since last time I bought a load!

    I just worked out my bucks per bang, and it's gone up from 5c to nearly 10c, thats about 10p a shot.

    That's inflation for you, the part of the cost of living crisis they try and brush under the carpet

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Valleys of South Wales
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Have you seen the price of bang buttons?! They've doubled since last time I bought a load!

    I just worked out my bucks per bang, and it's gone up from 5c to nearly 10c, thats about 10p a shot.

    That's inflation for you, the part of the cost of living crisis they try and brush under the carpet
    The last ones I bought were £30 / 1000. I got a few thou while the going was good. OK for a while now. I saw somewhere that all of our war stock mil ammo is heading out east to fuel some non war or other. That all has to be replaced. RG is very busy.
    DesG
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum !"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hertford
    Posts
    1,408
    All this 'free lead' needs some electricity to melt and the cost of that is only going one way.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Valleys of South Wales
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    All this 'free lead' needs some electricity to melt and the cost of that is only going one way.
    This is true, but the lee pot has a 500 watt element so that is one kilowatt in two hours. I can cast quite a lot of bullets in two hours for the less than 50p.
    DesG
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum !"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    All this 'free lead' needs some electricity to melt and the cost of that is only going one way.
    But surely this will affect bought bullets just as much as ho.e cast?

    J
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hertford
    Posts
    1,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehoolio View Post
    But surely this will affect bought bullets just as much as ho.e cast?

    J
    This is already in the cost of bought bullets.
    Free bullets from scrap lead? Not quite, at the moment it is still a small cost but still not free.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wisbech, Cambs
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Could I ask where you are all buying your 38 bullets from.

    Iím down to my last 500 SWCís but now Iíve introduced my daughter to the pleasures of shooting they donít last long.

    Iím aware of Kranks but prices seem quite high now.

    Thanks

    Bill
    Try Shellhouse bullets, they have a huge range of cast bullets.
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •