Thread: I'm in! Bellows rifle service pt2,

I'm in! Bellows rifle service pt2,

Bit of an update after pt1;
    https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...tumbling-block

I couldn't get the Spindle disassembled, so I bit the bullet and surgically separated a bit of wood that will be covered by the side plate. I'll glue it back on when I reassemble it.
    This allowed me to pull the whole mechanism out.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It's all in good condition with just the outside of the steel frame a bit corroded where it's laid against the inside of the stock.... and the bellows are in remarkably good condition.
    A quick test shows they have a very small leak, probably on the pleated end but a water test will show me. Surprisingly the tube protruding out of the end seems to be wood.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

...so I'll clean everything up and repair the Bellows.
    The double V springs are very strong and are fitted with quite a lot of preload...reassembly should be interesting.

The long sear part of the trigger mech that engages with the notched sear on the spindle is beautifully made, with some nice little design flourishes that would never be seen.
    It's a bit more elaborate than other ones I've seen, and makes a great unit along with the set trigger at the front that hits the long sear.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll try to get some good video footage and pics while it's apart, and of some of the repair work on the bellows. Once it's reassembled it'll probably never be taken apart again!

I still can't work out how the spindle comes out, but that doesn't matter now, and I am very happy to have got it apart.

Cheers,
    Matt

Amazing rifle and project way above my pay grade! Good luck! The video on the trigger is amazing.

What an absolutely beautiful thing! Your solution for dismantling it was most elegant IMO because any evidence of it will be concealed.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Thumbs up

Congratulations on getting it sorted Matt. Even more congratulations for your pictorial and video record, which is ground breaking because (as you well know) there is very little out there that has been published on the construction and repair of these iconic guns.

Cheers,
    John

Amazing! Thank you for sharing. It is nice to read your threads and see your videos.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Well done Matt for having the bottle to take it apart. good luck with putting back together again. look forward to seeing all done.

Just an update,
    I’ve cleaned everything and serviced the bellows to a point I’m happy with (took 3 goes to seal a few tiny leaks, and then the parchment was conditioned appropriately)

Now I need to reassemble it all and fit an airtight breech seal, no easy task as the barrel has to be removed between fitting the seal & testing. Some hidden repairs to the woodwork and it’ll be done.

Work has got busy again, and I’m away this weekend so it won’t be for a little while but I’ve got some great video footage to show how the mechanism works and steps to service, I’ll be sure to document the last few steps.

Once done I’ll edit it all together for a nice little film.

Watch this space.

Cheers,
    Matt

This is tremendous stuff many thanks.
    Morally flawed

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    This is tremendous stuff many thanks.
    Amazing as usual Matt!
    Bags first dibs on bits left over,
    Let us know when you are down club, we can bring bell target rifles for a change. or pistols.
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Looking forward to seeing it all done.