Thread: .44 johnson and dow bullets

.44 johnson and dow bullets

anyone used these in their .44s?
    tried to get the molds a few years ago but they was a delay so i didnt bother but interested again....

Yep, both that and the "Colt" offering in 36cal.
    Works and works rather well.

If performance is your game though you´re better off with LEE´s so called Ruger bullet of 220grains on 456 diameter.
    The Johnston&Dow is rather pointy why it first up takes the area of an original gun underneath the rammer to fit, for most makes, and it turn it limits the capactity for powder.

Mark. I´ve basically abandoned the setup of filling the cylinder up with grease and gone to using 1/8" greased wads underneath the bullet instead. In other words, that takes up space too.

https://i.postimg.cc/3rkvL54K/Colt_(1).jpg

Here the 220 at work in a 1860 Army. Yes, an original gun.

excellent pic.....
    i like the look of conicals than balls but thats just me.
    love to try some before i go through the hassle of obtaining a mold.
    i just casted some .457 lee real bullets up for the ruger old army and was told they are excellent too

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    excellent pic.....
    i like the look of conicals than balls but thats just me.
    love to try some before i go through the hassle of obtaining a mold.
    i just casted some .457 lee real bullets up for the ruger old army and was told they are excellent too
    I have tried conicals and a couple of lads at the club have. We found that they tend to creep forward in the chamber with the recoil.

It might be a good idea if you can get some and try them before splashing out on a new mould.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I have tried conicals and a couple of lads at the club have. We found that they tend to creep forward in the chamber with the recoil.

It might be a good idea if you can get some and try them before splashing out on a new mould.
    Balls crept forward on the Ruger but it was my fault as I didn’t seat them far enough with my bullet seater … it’s only for Remingtons / roger and Spencer’s . I don’t have any issues with any loads just my accuracy which is around 2 inch at 20 yds