Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
I agree with this 100%.
Even though I work as a stocker, refinishing and chequering fine pieces of walnut for 'traditional' looking rifles and shotguns, I see the numerous benefits of 'military type' rifles for a number of applications. I've used them for years, both air and powder powered - and this argument has been banging on for as many years. Bottom line is they're legal to own and the opinions of some ill-informed member of the non-shooting community to me, are unimportant.
Perhaps we should all go back to shooting BSA Cadets as they're a 'friendly shape'. HW and AA should stop making the 77/97/TX as they could resemble a small caliber O/U shotgun. ISP should stop making the Spartan because it looks like a centre fire stalking rifle - and Gat pistols should be banned because someone who hasn't got a clue might confuse it for a Luger...
Military rifles have evolved to be what they are cos in a mad minute they are easy to operate, chuck-aboutable and tough. I have an HW80k and I can tell you it isn't chuck-aboutable and carries a few scars to prove it. For me there would be no embarrassment in operating a 'tacticool' rifle anywhere.

Some custom stocks are a work of art. Beautiful, but adding nothing to accuracy or ease of use whilst subracting from their chuck-aboutability.