Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts and perceptions of AR style airguns?

Thoughts and perceptions of AR style airguns?

Saw a rat in the garden a couple of weeks ago and I'm thinking of getting back into shooting again after about 15 years out of the game!

Having a browse about whats now available and I'm surprised to see so many AR-15'esque looking airguns about!
    Back when I was shooting the closest looking to them around was the likes of Gunpower stealth and logun S-16s.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on these, how they feel and perform and the perception of them at ranges!

I always preferred traditional looking guns, I'm itching to get another Prosport and massively regret selling it now, especially given the price of one new now... But can't help look at and wonder at these cool high tech looking black guns!

It's a matter of personal taste.
    I dislike them intensely, an airgun should look like an airgun in my book - especially in these hysterical times in which we live.
    A gun like that could get you reported by a scared member of the public and a visit from some trigger happy armed response unit.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Nothing new.

Air arms / Sussex armoury were doing it decades ago. Then there was Skan. Marketing, that's all.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Smoggy View Post
    Saw a rat in the garden a couple of weeks ago and I'm thinking of getting back into shooting again after about 15 years out of the game!

Having a browse about whats now available and I'm surprised to see so many AR-15'esque looking airguns about!
    Back when I was shooting the closest looking to them around was the likes of Gunpower stealth and logun S-16s.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on these, how they feel and perform and the perception of them at ranges!

I always preferred traditional looking guns, I'm itching to get another Prosport and massively regret selling it now, especially given the price of one new now... But can't help look at and wonder at these cool high tech looking black guns!
    The look of a gun has little or no effect on how it performs, while the perception is probably more about the owner being a bit of a "walt"

As for the general public, you're pretty much screwed if they see any form of gun.

They perform well, a folding stock obviously has its benefits over a non folder.
    Looks are as they say personal preference, some love them!

A tacticool rifle has a few benefits over sporting rifles, they are (mostly) lighter, shorter and have a couple of pic rails which are very handy for ratting.. ir torches, pods, there is also the fact that there is not any wood to worry about damaging!

I’m sure even the die hard traditionalists can see the benefits even though they may hate them, they are here to stay. I’m a fan

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    It's a matter of personal taste.
    I dislike them intensely, an airgun should look like an airgun in my book - especially in these hysterical times in which we live.
    A gun like that could get you reported by a scared member of the public and a visit from some trigger happy armed response unit.
    I certainly would not let Joe Public influence my next airgun purchase, that’s just silly.

non shooters/joe public see a man with a gun, doesn’t really matter if it’s all black tac or sporter , it’s a man with a gun!

If an item is banned, the desire, not sure if that's the right word, to own such is heightened. The manufacturer's simply supply the demand. Those of us who remember years ago the 'go faster' stripes on the 1100cc cars ? Made you feel like you had 3 ltr V6. The array of airgun pistols gives this 'feeling' more so, who don't want to be like Inspector Callaghan,Martin Riggs etc ?, So the manufacturer's feed the fantasy,wrongly in my view, the trend while they can. Notice I wrote 'while they can' ?
    But, after under the wrapping, go faster stripes, you still have an under 12ftlb air rifle,6ftlb pistol. This country, or the people, is not for innovation for the gun industry.

I think the nicest looking air rifle is the AA S400.
    I like a nice piece of wood.

I own a Brocock Concept XR. Absolutely brilliant. It is really a tool for a job, but it is nice to shoot.

Apart from a Crosman M16 break barrel, everything else is traditional looking, oh apart from an M4 bb gun.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

I'm not a fan of sporting / civilian airguns firearms looking like military semi / auto assault style / machine guns - I simply don't think it helps in general.

When up to long range CF - I do think that tips into a different realm as precision rifles / larger cals are generally / often military looking and the 'general public' are never going to be on a high energy / long range centre fire range, to get on one I'd say you'll have to have shown an interest and been vetted already, to some degree, by someone - even if it's your shooting mate.

If someone has a call for a specific rifle for say vermin shooting at night again, (lots of small military looking multi shot pcp's at mo) again - a bit out of sight.

I'm going to illustrate my thinking. A friend of mine (non shooting) has a friend who does. She showed me what this guy had just bought on his Facebook and was a bit freaked out by it. When I showed a pic of a more conventional looking rifle and explained the scary looking thing was no more powerful just a hi tech looking pcp, she calmed down - a lot.
    Now this isn't an un rational , unintelligent person _

While I'll do my best to defend shooting, promote safety, and educate always, stuff that looks like an assault rifle - it just doesn't help _. I do appreciate the politics behind the 'M16' look / arguments of Freedom for CF shooters on 5.56 / 223, I still don't think translating this down to airguns and RF is overall, positive for shooting in a broader sense _

It's the same reason many European countries only have firearms ownership in non military calibres in principal.
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Nothing new.

Air arms / Sussex armoury were doing it decades ago. Then there was Skan. Marketing, that's all.

Dave
    Makers just want to sell their product and make money now, for sure _

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    The look of a gun has little or no effect on how it performs, while the perception is probably more about the owner being a bit of a "walt"

As for the general public, you're pretty much screwed if they see any form of gun.

Not my experience , mine is something that is a break barrel airgun, OU /SS shotgun, basic CZ looking rimfire are far far far less likely to cause alarm than stuff that looks militaristic
    Last edited by PCPShooter; 26-09-2022 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Not my experience , mine is something that is a break barrel airgun, OU /SS shotgun, basic CZ looking rimfire are far far far less likely to cause alarm than stuff that looks militaristic
    The OP question was the perception at the range which is what the 'walt' comment refers to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rativity View Post
    They perform well, a folding stock obviously has its benefits over a non folder.
    Looks are as they say personal preference, some love them!

A tacticool rifle has a few benefits over sporting rifles, they are (mostly) lighter, shorter and have a couple of pic rails which are very handy for ratting.. ir torches, pods, there is also the fact that there is not any wood to worry about damaging!

I’m sure even the die hard traditionalists can see the benefits even though they may hate them, they are here to stay. I’m a fan
    I agree with this 100%.
    Even though I work as a stocker, refinishing and chequering fine pieces of walnut for 'traditional' looking rifles and shotguns, I see the numerous benefits of 'military type' rifles for a number of applications. I've used them for years, both air and powder powered - and this argument has been banging on for as many years. Bottom line is they're legal to own and the opinions of some ill-informed member of the non-shooting community to me, are unimportant.
    Perhaps we should all go back to shooting BSA Cadets as they're a 'friendly shape'. HW and AA should stop making the 77/97/TX as they could resemble a small caliber O/U shotgun. ISP should stop making the Spartan because it looks like a centre fire stalking rifle - and Gat pistols should be banned because someone who hasn't got a clue might confuse it for a Luger...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I agree with this 100%.
    Even though I work as a stocker, refinishing and chequering fine pieces of walnut for 'traditional' looking rifles and shotguns, I see the numerous benefits of 'military type' rifles for a number of applications. I've used them for years, both air and powder powered - and this argument has been banging on for as many years. Bottom line is they're legal to own and the opinions of some ill-informed member of the non-shooting community to me, are unimportant.
    Perhaps we should all go back to shooting BSA Cadets as they're a 'friendly shape'. HW and AA should stop making the 77/97/TX as they could resemble a small caliber O/U shotgun. ISP should stop making the Spartan because it looks like a centre fire stalking rifle - and Gat pistols should be banned because someone who hasn't got a clue might confuse it for a Luger...
    Military rifles have evolved to be what they are cos in a mad minute they are easy to operate, chuck-aboutable and tough. I have an HW80k and I can tell you it isn't chuck-aboutable and carries a few scars to prove it. For me there would be no embarrassment in operating a 'tacticool' rifle anywhere.

Some custom stocks are a work of art. Beautiful, but adding nothing to accuracy or ease of use whilst subracting from their chuck-aboutability.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Bottom line is they're legal to own and the opinions of some ill-informed member of the non-shooting community to me, are unimportant.
    Problem is the non-shooting community outnumbers the shooting community by probably 100:1 & they are the people who elect Gov'ts,
    so, their opinions are important