Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reliability of older guns.

I would say the build quality was different years ago, over engineered and well put together.
    Introduction of technology and different materials have made rifles softer, and easier to break.
    I am still reluctant to buy a new production rifle, PCP anyway, at any cost.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    And some people will take their car to a garage for a simple oil change.

DIY is an alien concept for many today.
    exactly... people as a whole are so helpless / hopeless these days, it amazes me. If something breaks, my default is to try and fix it - I mean, it's broken right ? My dad was always the same, and that's how I was brought up. Mostly I do fix it, or decide it's not worth the effort. Sometime I accept things might be beyond me / too complex, but that's a much high bar than taking apart of bunch of tubes / machined blocks and replacing some o-rings

Right now, I'm building an evanix up from a block and cylinder I bought on the bay. 'cos I can. Will make a good few parts, buy some complex/awkward ones (like the sidelever and a mag), machine a barrel, and make up a stock. it's just a challenge and I like building / fixing stuff. truth be told, I get far enjoyment from repairs / restorations than actually shooting these days
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    exactly... people as a whole are so helpless / hopeless these days, it amazes me. If something breaks, my default is to try and fix it - I mean, it's broken right ? My dad was always the same, and that's how I was brought up. Mostly I do fix it, or decide it's not worth the effort. Sometime I accept things might be beyond me / too complex, but that's a much high bar than taking apart of bunch of tubes / machined blocks and replacing some o-rings

Right now, I'm building an evanix up from a block and cylinder I bought on the bay. 'cos I can. Will make a good few parts, buy some complex/awkward ones (like the sidelever and a mag), machine a barrel, and make up a stock. it's just a challenge and I like building / fixing stuff. truth be told, I get far enjoyment from repairs / restorations than actually shooting these days
    It’s the same for me ( hence my nickname ), although my skills are way below yours I’ll always have a go. My dad wasn’t really into DIY or FIY ( fix it yourself ) but my grandfather was, and if he couldn’t he usually knew someone who could !

At the end of the day you have to know your limitations and also work safely but the fantastic thing about the internet is the amount of knowledge and help that’s at your fingertips, and with airguns probably 95% of it is on here

Got 4 old single shot Harriers, all leak free, all still just do what it says on the tin. But they are very very simple and a bit agricultural.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    but the fantastic thing about the internet is the amount of knowledge and help that’s at your fingertips, and with airguns probably 95% of it is on here

That point about the information on the internet these days is so true.. I learned most of what I know (not that it's that much) about the use of lathes from online videos. Just today I tried threading for the first time using the 60 degree compound slide and thread dial indicator mechanism, with no reversing of the motor. Hardly rocket science for someone trained properly, but I didn't have a clue how to use those features until I watched a couple of youtube videos. Enabled me to make up a 3/8" 20tpi threaded stud, with the other end threaded M10, to repair something else - trying finding one of those to buy off the shelf !

It's kinda weird I now wonder how anyone survives without a lathe, or a mate who has one, to repair stuff !
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Most seals can be bought got from a bearing and seal supplier.. Take old seal in and a quick measure up an usually they can match up.. or find the correct seal size and speak to bearing seal supplier to get a price..