Thread: Do you process range lead? What do you use?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    How do you process ALL the grit out... Surely just a few grains of errant sand will bugger a rifle barrel in short order?

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    How do you process ALL the grit out... Surely just a few grains of errant sand will bugger a rifle barrel in short order?
    You don't need to. The stones and grit float on the top of the molten lead and you scoop it off. Fluxing helps the process. Read "from ingot to target". It has all the bullet making lore from the greats such as Elmer Keith.
    Last edited by DesG; 27-09-2022 at 02:21 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Just make sure if you remove lead, the range owner knows you're doing it. Some can get very funny, as they claim to own it.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Just make sure if you remove lead, the range owner knows you're doing it. Some can get very funny, as they claim to own it.
    If the lead free rules come in they should be very grateful!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Well they do own it, but hereabouts we have found that scrappies do not want range lead (too dirty) and we struggle to get rid of it.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I found this quite strange to see when I started melting range lead, the small stones and even steel BBs float to the top and sit so high on the surface it's like polystyrene on water. The bigger pieces I just picked out beforehand.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.