Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you process range lead? What do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    How do you process ALL the grit out... Surely just a few grains of errant sand will bugger a rifle barrel in short order?
    I found this quite strange to see when I started melting range lead, the small stones and even steel BBs float to the top and sit so high on the surface it's like polystyrene on water. The bigger pieces I just picked out beforehand.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Try a garden sieve small enough to catch the lead, Hose it down to remove debris, dry it & put to one side for later use, I do that with pellets.
    I too use a sieve I wash the lead and leave it on a slab in the rain then when dry sieve again and store it. I still get a lot of debris on top of the pot . I do it all out side.

Bulk lead melting.

[I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I just processed last weeks bag'o'crap from the range. 6.2kg of lead and 3.2kg of crap. The crap is heavy with lead beads through it, how can I maximise my yield?

I then went on to make 3kg of .38 140grn semi wadcutters to try with a low load. The other 7kg will be used in my .44 mould which should arrive tomorrow