Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw45 fitting a longer barrel.

Hw45 fitting a longer barrel.

Has anyone fitted a longer barrel to a hw45? I want to put a mod on my hw45 so looking to fit a longer barrel to do this. What barrels will fit? What length did you fit to allow a mod adapter to fit on? Will crosman or air arms barrels fit or is the diameter to big/small? Any advise is much appreciated. This is going to be a close range ratting gun which has a stock fitted already. Chris

Barrel

If you need any 10mm dia LW barrels? Let me know. Mach 1.5

That sounds like a great project. It would reduce the muzzle flip.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    just check the cocking arc / angles first, to make sure you will have clearance... the muzzle must be pretty close to the frame on full cock ?

the actual barrel swap would be trivial.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    just check the cocking arc / angles first, to make sure you will have clearance... the muzzle must be pretty close to the frame on full cock ?

the actual barrel swap would be trivial.
    I have a short mod here jon. More to help the muzzle flip than make it ultra quiet.

I tapped the muzzle end of an HW45 to take an adapter someone made for me, I think I used a 10mm tap, which screwed into the muzzle with a 1/2" male thread on the other end to take a moderator, and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I tapped the muzzle end of an HW45 to take an adapter someone made for me, I think I used a 10mm tap, which screwed into the muzzle with a 1/2" male thread on the other end to take a moderator, and it works fine.
    Now that be great if i can get someone to make me the 10mm-1/2"unf adapter

I mentioned this the other day on a fb forum, Geoff Bullock of LSD said he'd done it before, i just have to look around for a used 45 now....

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Now that be great if i can get someone to make me the 10mm-1/2"unf adapter
    You need to take some careful measurements as the muzzle end is tapered, although if I remember correctly there is plenty of meat to take the 10mm thread toward the barrel end, and the adapter needs to fit as tight as possible to the actual barrel. I can remember some careful filing to get the correct fit.
    It was UK Neil who made the adaptor, but as he no longer makes such things, I know there are several others on the BBS capable of making such an adaptor.

I'm thinking the longer barrel route is probably actually easier than the adapter.. I might do one myself out of curiosity.

Ideally a 12.5 / 13 ish mm barrel, turned down over most of it's length to match the HW dimension, but full OD to enable a 1/2" UNF thread at the muzzle end.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'm thinking the longer barrel route is probably actually easier than the adapter.. I might do one myself out of curiosity.

Ideally a 12.5 / 13 ish mm barrel, turned down over most of it's length to match the HW dimension, but full OD to enable a 1/2" UNF thread at the muzzle end.
    Sounds good

I think you could be right, Jon, but as I have no facilities of my own to machine anything, just some old fashioned taps and dies, and a multitude of hand tools, I went down the adaptor route instead and never considered an extended barrel, but that's a good idea for another one, as I now have several barrels knocking about that may fit the bill, although until I find them I'm not sure of their calibres and OD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I think you could be right, Jon, but as I have no facilities of my own to machine anything, just some old fashioned taps and dies, and a multitude of hand tools, I went down the adaptor route instead and never considered an extended barrel, but that's a good idea for another one, as I now have several barrels knocking about that may fit the bill, although until I find them I'm not sure of their calibres and OD's.
    yeah, for sure, got to work with what you have

Just picked one up & only an hour away from me, older 45 in 177 fitted with a longer barrel, sorry but no idea how to post photos

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Just picked one up & only an hour away from me, older 45 in 177 fitted with a longer barrel, sorry but no idea how to post photos
    There are several threads/posts on the BBS telling you exactly how to post photographs; just do a search.