Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting older and shooting

Getting older and shooting

I am lucky enough to be able so shoot at a farm but I find climbing over fences and such a fair bit harder now. Im not a youngster and Im due to go in for an operation on my back soon. Does anyone else find they struggle a bit now? Lugging a few rabbits about now is not as easy as it was.

Yep, very much so,
    I've also realised I no longer bounce as well as I used to, I bruise far more, & my lower legs are a mass of cuts & grazes from brambles & branches.

Even worse, moving kit around I tried to shift the gear I used to take for an evening beach fishing in one go & only managed about 20 paces

Mmmm...Aye, genetics, age and time take their toll, but, keep going... Fusion in my neck vertebrae a couple of years ago, potential fusion of lower 3 vertebrae due to accident years ago. I used to get my partner to help get my old BSA's on the main stand to kick them into life, all I can do now is the kick them when they won't start. 16 years ago I bought a new Harley Sportster, last of the carb models, I am only 64 kgs, she is a bit heavy, but, the electric start has enabled me to keep going, despite pain killers not doing much.... Up and at 'em.....

Aye, Long gone are the days when I used to be able to straighten bent barrels over my cock --- I can't do it now as my wrists have gone and so have my chickens.

Hope this helps ?

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Aye, Long gone are the days when I used to be able to straighten bent barrels over my cock --- I can't do it now as my wrists have gone and so have my chickens.
    All the best Mick

Old age and ill health have seriously affected my sport of airgun shooting and collecting. Due to 'Arthur' in several joints, especially my left elbow, I struggle to cock spring rifles so I'm restricted to PCPs but Im still batting (and Peeing people off at every opportunity ).
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hope this helps ?

All the best Mick
    I presume the chickens left because the cock went limp?

Hello, why not as the farmer if you could but some fence Stiles in , can be made and fitted cheap enough, and get a heated waist coat ,
    Last edited by oldboyshooter; 28-09-2022 at 06:40 PM.

Arms not as strong as before & shoulder joints protestingainly due to lifting / carrying heavy hot steel at work. Just made a few changes & carry on. 68 Yr old with a recycled teenager mindset helps.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Not just physically noticeing ,but also losing my desire to actually kill.Not turning anti, but I do now far prefer picking up to any actual shooting, both shotgun and air rifle.anyone else?.

54. Until a few years ago felt the same as 17 or 25. Now feeling the aches, pains, years a bit.

Also, having been a really keen hunter in earlier years across deer, ducks, air rifle quarry (and beagles), now don’t feel quite the same impulse. Not opposed, but maybe other priorities - including a 1-year old!

65 and cant walk as much as i used to

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by marston View Post
    Not just physically noticeing ,but also losing my desire to actually kill.Not turning anti, but I do now far prefer picking up to any actual shooting, both shotgun and air rifle.anyone else?.
    Yes, It's called cognitive dissonance

Hope this helps ?

All the best Mick
    I suppose it i better than bending your cock over a barrel?
    Last edited by raymondo; 29-09-2022 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    Arms not as strong as before & shoulder joints protestingainly due to lifting / carrying heavy hot steel at work. Just made a few changes & carry on. 68 Yr old with a recycled teenager mindset helps.
    I found out at the Boinger Bashes that a prolonged session with a springer gave me back pain, but using a single stroke Mohawk gave me no problems at all.
    The Mohawk is a bit of a bastard to cock compared to a springer so I can only put this down to the fact that Cocking the Mohawk uses different muscle groups ?

All the best Mick

Although I enjoyed myself immensely, I came away from the bash with a bad case of Airsporter shoulder. (I've just coined that if you don't mind). It took the rest of the weekend to recede.
    I shall not learn yet.