Thread: Protective oiling question

Protective oiling question

How often would you recommend wiping your gun down with some protective oil if storing it in a gun bag?

Welcome to the forum.

Much depends on the storage conditions, I'd say. If it's kept in a very dry place, little or no moisture and no extreme temperature fluctuations, once suitably wiped over, maybe near enough indefinitely? Be nice to take it out once in a while, admire (using obviously even better and more fun!) and wipe over again if possible, though.

If you only have the one gun bag and you've been using the gun.......if the gun or bag has got wet, dry both absolutely thoroughly before oiling the gun and storing.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

as tony says

I always wipe my guns down with Ballistol after using them and then put them in silicone treated gun socks -- seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxiliary View Post
    How often would you recommend wiping your gun down with some protective oil if storing it in a gun bag?
    I would recommend that you don't store guns in gun bags, having air circulating around them is far better.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I would recommend that you don't store guns in gun bags, having air circulating around them is far better.
    Had the rifle for ten years. On your advice I've taken it out of its bag, rubbed it down with 3 in 1 oil with a square of bog-roll. That operation took less than one minute. Sure enough the paper went from white to a bit brown. It lives in a corner of the indoor workshop. Taking the action out of the stock would be too much hassle, but maybe I will give the hidden bits a rub on a boring day. Ooo-er.

It will be stored naked in this sometimes damp and often cold det-bung from now on. No minors have access to these premises.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Got mine in gun bags inside the cabinets ,More so for protection. I do fire them a couple time a month and wipe them over with a oily rag with some ccl lubricant, On the other hand my 97 centenary has spent most if its 22 + years in its life in the packaging it came in minus the plastic sleeve, It still looks like new , I do however not so much as the others wipe it over and put it back in, I will keep an eye on the others though in the cases,
    Last edited by madcarlos; 30-09-2022 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Had the rifle for ten years. On your advice I've taken it out of its bag, rubbed it down with 3 in 1 oil with a square of bog-roll. That operation took less than one minute. Sure enough the paper went from white to a bit brown. It lives in a corner of the indoor workshop. Taking the action out of the stock would be too much hassle, but maybe I will give the hidden bits a rub on a boring day. Ooo-er.

It will be stored naked in this sometimes damp and often cold det-bung from now on. No minors have access to these premises.
    Not at all a gun friendly environment by the sound of it.
    The problem with gun bags is that they will slowly adsorb moisture from the atmosphere & the gun will then live wrapped in damp material.
    But the problem with just leaving it "naked" in a workshop is that environment can be dirty & dusty, depending on the work done is said workshop,
    I would at the very least wrap it in a polythene bag to keep dust & dirt off, depending how rarely it gets used maybe wrapped in brown craft paper (shiny side out) inside the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post

I think the poor gun needs a new home tbh
    HW 77K .22,Gammo Hornet .22 BSA 3-9 x 50 Night light ,HW 40 .177,Gamo Maxxim Elite .22 multi shot, Beeman P17 .177 red dot sight ,SMK CP2 co2 with Hawk 3-9 x 50.Slingshots PPMG+TTF PPMG mk 2 ott PPMG ott Original custom made solid Bronze, Number 15 of 20

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjohn View Post
    I think the poor gun needs a new home tbh
    Yes he might feel as though he's been kidnapped from the shooting community but he does get a day out to a range sometimes.

It's mainly an electronics/radio workshop so no dust. Incubating him in a slightly damp fur-lined gun bag does sound like a bad idea. Just use the bag for transport when in public.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

I wipe my guns down with Ballistol before putting them in the cabinet but never wrap them in anything.