Thread: 1994 Airguns in Action video on YouTube

1994 Airguns in Action video on YouTube

For those that haven’t seen them, 1hr airgun video’s from 1994:

Vol 1 https://youtu.be/dFNUBuXOR3o

Vol 2 https://youtu.be/f7f8unEO0AM

Terry doe, Gerald Cardew, the Theoben lads, the Air Arms peeps John Darling and reviews of Webley Nemesis, Skan Bulpup AA RN10 and more

Seems like Vol 3 has a feature on the birth of HFT but only pt 1&2 on YouTube.
    Would like to see those too.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by ptdunk; 30-09-2022 at 12:02 PM.

I still have the original video's from back in the day!

Thanks for putting the videos on here.
    That’s a proper blast from the past.
    Atb
    Les..

Many thanks - a very enjoyable trip down memory lane.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    I still have the original video's from back in the day!

Any chance of you digitising parts 3 & 4 and uploading them to YouTube? Big ask I know,

I think they are brilliant.

Cheers,
    Matt

Skan swift in vid 2

Great fun, thank you. My immediate impression is how big Terry Doe is! He makes the Diana LG54 Air King, a large, heavy rifle, look quite easy to handle, although it's basically unmanageable for much smaller people. Great to see John Darling build a hide from mostly natural materials. What an amazing outdoorsman he was! Also great to capture Gerald Cardew's enthusiasm.

A very inventive time, the 1990s and it's sad to think how the industry has fragmented and stultified since, with a few dogged exceptions like Air Arms.

These films bring home how your own film-making, Matt, is very powerful in bringing vintage airguns to life - and all the better for the fact that it's not done with any commercial purpose, just for the love of the practical side of the hobby's history.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Great fun, thank you. My immediate impression is how big Terry Doe is! He makes the Diana LG54 Air King, a large, heavy rifle, look quite easy to handle, although it's basically unmanageable for much smaller people. Great to see John Darling build a hide from mostly natural materials. What an amazing outdoorsman he was! Also great to capture Gerald Cardew's enthusiasm.

A very inventive time, the 1990s and it's sad to think how the industry has fragmented and stultified since, with a few dogged exceptions like Air Arms.

These films bring home how your own film-making, Matt, is very powerful in bringing vintage airguns to life - and all the better for the fact that it's not done with any commercial purpose, just for the love of the practical side of the hobby's history.

Hi Danny,
    Terry Doe is a big bloke, I noticed it when you see him next to other people in this FT vid from the 90's:

https://youtu.be/SmUF6jJLgNo?t=1316

https://youtu.be/SmUF6jJLgNo?t=1720

I agree it's great to see Gerald Cardew talking us through some of his experiments, which benefit from the video format.

I find The Airguns in Action video quite inspiring, having read those 90's Magazines these vids really bring them to life.
    Going forward I'll think of my future videos as 'Features' in a multi part ongoing video magazine.

They've changed the rules so you can monetize shooting video's now on Youtube, but that means annoying adverts and trying to churn out as much content as possible at the cost of quality, so I won't be going down that route. I enjoy taking the time to make the kind of video's I'd like to watch and I've found the better the production the more popular they seem to be, I think a quality video will stand the test of time.

Cheers,
    Matt

I wish I was still the same size i was in those Ft videos, LOL

I'm watching it now. "Scopes from £20 to £200 pounds". There's inflation for you! The same interview now would be "scopes from £60 to £3k"
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    I'm watching it now. "Scopes from £20 to £200 pounds". There's inflation for you! The same interview now would be "scopes from £60 to £3k"
    Absolutely.
    But interestingly, look at the price of the Tasco SS 10x42 in the review - that ( or the same model rebadged ) seems to have come down a good few quid
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Some memories there, I was a bit shocked to see a younger me and the missus on the first one. I had hair back then

Richard North....before he was a secret millionaire....