Thread: Covid and the LGV

Covid and the LGV

Thank you covid for infecting me this week!

By yesterday I was just starting to feel human again, and looking for something to do, not too strenuous, I decided at last to tackle the one slight blemish on the performance of my LGV. My home made trigger blade has given it a much improved let off, but it wasn't quite perfect, and the blade did have a slight grating feeling, which eased after first stage take up. Quick easy strip out, and with the top half of the casing off I sat and looked at it while I cocked and fired by hand. This let me notice a small rub mark on the lower half of the casing, and the answer was to hand. The trigger blade has a small projection which engages the safety mechanism (leaving this projection on while filing the new blade from a block of all)y almost doubles the time needed) and I had left this a tiny bit thicker than necessary, so it was rubbing on the casing. Three or four strokes of a small smooth cut file, a bit of wet and dry and some polish later and the grating was gone!
    With plenty of time available I studied the action of the two adjusting screws, and got he let off almost right out of the gun, knowing I would have to adjust it slightly when the trigger was back in the gun and taking the pressure of the main sear.

Nearer still to normal today, I made the final adjustments, and the trigger now feels at least as good as the V-Mach reworked Rekord in my HW 97. With the blustery wind swirling leaves in all directions round the garden I then shot a 15mm edge to edge 10 shot single hole group at 30 yards.

The LGV now gives me almost everything I could ever want in a perfect air rifle, so thank you covid.

(Almost everything? Well, perhaps a really pretty stock would just ice the cake). Aren't springers wonderful.

Sorry to hear you caught the dreaded lurgy, Michael. But great to hear that you're on the mend and that this presented you with some unexpected playtime.

That rifle of yours shot beautifully anyway and this now gives it that final finishing touch. Top result; very well done..

Even more of a shame, though, that Umarex / Walther didn't carry on, even with just one version of this fine springer, instead of pulling the plug on these fine rifles.

P.S.....Maybe a bespoke stock, lovingly hand finished by our Craig, might provide that final, final, uplifting touch if required?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Great result, Mike.
    The action on my sporter LGV ( I can't for the life in me recall the proper name for it, same action as the Master but a slimmer stock ) is lovely after I followed your/Jim's tuning guide and also replaced the standard guides with correctly fitting ones. The trigger on the other hand, is diabolical.
    Simon very kindly sent me a 'shoe' which fits over the trigger blade adjusting screws and it transformed the trigger on my LGV Master - but the one on my sporter model is standard and as such, terrible.
    NickG very kindly sent me details of replacing the standard trigger blade with one from a TX, so this is the next step with mine. If that doesn't give satisfactory results, then I'll bite the bullet and purchase a Rowan version.
    But it's encouraging to know there are solutions such as yours to convert these.
    Best, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

P.S.....Maybe a bespoke stock, lovingly hand finished by our Craig, might provide that final, final, uplifting touch if required?[/QUOTE]

Funny thing, that thought has just rolled round my head once or twice Tony! It was one of the things I would have liked to chat over at the last bash if an old friend 's diamond wedding hadn't got in the way. For me, the perfect gun must have a proper walnut stock (and that obviously includes checkering).

[QUOTE=Craig-P;8175908]Great result, Mike.
    The action on my sporter LGV ( I can't for the life in me recall the proper name for it, same action as the Master but a slimmer stock ) is lovely after I followed your/Jim's tuning guide and also replaced the standard guides with correctly fitting ones. The trigger on the other hand, is diabolical.
    Simon very kindly sent me a 'shoe' which fits over the trigger blade adjusting screws and it transformed the trigger on my LGV Master - but the one on my sporter model is standard and as such, terrible.
    NickG very kindly sent me details of replacing the standard trigger blade with one from a TX, so this is the next step with mine. If that doesn't give satisfactory results, then I'll bite the bullet and purchase a Rowan version.
    But it's encouraging to know there are solutions such as yours to convert these.
    Best, Craig[

I have a Rowan trigger on my LGU Craig. It is an early one and I had to drill an additional hole to reposition the rear screw (in my view essential to improve the let off), but I believe the current model has the extra hole,so may be worth a try if you don't use the TX. It does give you an adjustable blade.
    Fitting a shoe to the original blade sounds like a very good idea, much easier to make a shoe than a whole new blade. Wish I had thought of that!
    Best, Michael ⁰