Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley tempest.

Webley tempest.

As above which are the best years to
    get hold of?

Good and bad points, what should I be looking out for?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hydroclamp View Post
    As above which are the best years to
    get hold of?

Good and bad points, what should I be looking out for?

Thanks.
    I think they are all about the same. Collectors may prefer the earlier ones (fore-end marked TEMPEST, later ones WEBLEY TEMPEST) but I’m not sure that particularly affects value, not least as these are still sought after as shooters.

Also sought after are ones with Webley brown plastic grips, or Beeman wood ones.

My advice - the older the better (as usual)

From a collector's perspective, the older models with just Tempest on the forend in pristine condition and all original accessories including the box are the most desirable but if you're looking for a user, most shoot equally well.

The trigger was changed to a broader blade in around 2002 and I prefer the feel of these late production triggers as they feel lighter and more comfortable as more of your finger is in contact with the blade. They were only made for a short time before the factory closed, so will probably be rarer in years to come. I have not tried any of the Turkish copies.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Things to look out for: split forend plastic (at bottom end)
    Barrel play when closed.
    Be advised, that age isnt reliable on these. As forends regularly split and were replaced the fact that it states Tempest or Webley Tempest may not be reliable as to determin age.
    Forget the turkish Tempests. Theyre oversprung and nasty to shoot (I have 2 for collection)
    ATB,
    yana

Webley tempest.

I had a brum built .177 bought new in '91, never liked it or the accuracy , sold it a few years later hardly used. I sold a .22 one for a mate on here about ten years ago & it was about the same age & well used but shot so much better it felt like a different gun.

I tried a couple of Turkish Tempests.
    Massively oversprung from the factory, making them incredibly hard to cock and they go off like a cannon.
    The spring can be sorted out but the general build quality just isn't there, rough casting marks and the two I tried had barrel wobble from brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I have not tried any of the Turkish copies.

John
    From the user feedback above, I won't be in a rush to try any Turkish copies either

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

From a collector's perspective, the older models with just Tempest on the forend in pristine condition and all original accessories including the box are the most desirable but if you're looking for a user, most shoot equally well.

The trigger was changed to a broader blade in around 2002 and I prefer the feel of these late production triggers as they feel lighter and more comfortable as more of your finger is in contact with the blade. They were only made for a short time before the factory closed, so will probably be rarer in years to come. I have not tried any of the Turkish copies.

John
    Certainly agree with John's comment that a nice, complete boxed Tempest in mint condition is hard to beat. I prefer the printed-original box versions, before they turned into the plain brown card, but as already noted the trigger on the late Birmingham models has a nicer feel for actually shooting. Given the numbers made, you can find decent ones fairly commonly if you look around.

I have 16 Tempests of various ages in my collection (including a twin-barrel one I bought from John a few years back), including 2 Turkish examples; Special editions from when they came in the brown leather/pig skin case. Both my Turkish ones actually handle very nicely - they are well finished on the outside (and on the inside on the one of them I've had apart), and aren't particularly over-sprung. The barrel fit on them is good. I haven't handled any of the later Turkish-made ones, but seeing various comments I guess that (like the Birmingham ones) they can vary.

Of the 14 Birmingham ones I have 5 seem to have a discernible wobble at the front, which reduces when the barrel is locked down. 2 of these ones are mint and around 10-15 years apart in age and (as far as I can tell) virtually unfired, so it may just be down to varying tolerances...

As the tempest isn't a serious target pistol (but a fabulous plinker), I'm not sure how much front wobble interferes with accuracy when the barrel is locked. Overall wobble is also reduced if the breech seal is new/good condition, as it helps lock the barrel firmly.

Best to have a good look at any prospective examples you are thinking of buying and see if the barrel wobbles or not. There are so many around you'll find a good one fairly quickly.

Barrel wobble is easily sorted on all the Webley overlever pistols.
    You don't need to buy any parts - just a couple of hours work with a MIG welder and a honing stone.
    I've done several and they come out like new (better probably).

Tempests are plinking fantastic. Until bedded in they will shoot to the right from spring twist action. They are remarkably accurate all things considered, but they aren't a FWB65. The triggers get better with use. Best bit they are a good full bore trainer in a lot of respects. Far better than airsoft or CO2 pistols. They are also a better size/weight than the Hurricane/Typhoon.

I don't think any were fantastically made. To get that you would need to look at earlier Webley pistols. The Tempest is "modern" in steel and finish, which isn't that groovy quality wise.
    A fully boxed with extras are choice for collecting. The last few hundred or so came in an empty cardboard carton.

Tempest: one of my favourite air pistols to shoot, if a bit agricultural. Either calibre give a satisfying swack on cans.

I went for the Premier, the last of the all steel Webley pistols.
    Last edited by Biker_Bob; 04-10-2022 at 03:53 PM.

I've just remembered that I think I wore a Tempest out. It was the first one I owned, which I bought brand new from Streatham or Fulham Armoury - I can't remember which. This was in 1985 and by 1990 I was onto my next one. The trigger pull became so light that it was unsafe after the tens of thousands of pellets I fired through it. I loved that pistol though and enjoyed every pellet.

John

Webley tempest.

I've just remembered that I think I wore a Tempest out. It was the first one I owned, which I bought brand new from Streatham or Fulham Armoury - I can't remember which. This was in 1985 and by 1990 I was onto my next one. The trigger pull became so light that it was unsafe after the tens of thousands of pellets I fired through it. I loved that pistol though and enjoyed every pellet.

John
    you certainly got your moneys worth with that one John, if you can still get them i found the .22 one i sold for simon loved the thunderbolt lead free pellets i happened to have lying around, one of the few guns i've tried with any lead free ones that was good accuracy wise. tbh.

John
    Hmm - hope that wasn't the one you sold me back in 2011 on here... I think you said at the time that it was a Streatham Armoury one (with both calibre barrels), where the barrel tube locked into the casting by means of a knurled nut. I've no idea how many of those they did/sold, but I haven't seen others since (or maybe I haven't looked very hard).