Thread: Lanes Regulator Fitted.

Lanes Regulator Fitted.

After posting for help regarding the fitting of an external lanes regulator I had help off a fellow air rifle owner who showed me how it was done. Yesterday after what seemed an age I finally got the rifle shooting at a decent ft/lb with 10 gn pellets and 10.5gn.
    I filled the cylinder to just under 200 as the 300 bar bottle I'm using needs refilling.
    What would you recommend filling the cylinder to now the regulator is fitted?
    Below are the results I had with 3 different pellets and all fired through a chrombro 4 chrono.
    What are your thoughts regarding shot count as the regulator is set at 105bar by lanes and I haven't altered it. Would lowering the bar setting get me a higher shot count at the same fps?

For pellet weight I'm going by tin weight as I didn't weigh then this time.

Here's what I shot and ft/lb per different pellets.
    10gn RWS Super heavy
    67 shots
    Highest fps 723, 11.61ft/lb
    Lowest fps 715, 11.35 ft/lb.

10.5gn Crosman Magnum
    67 shots
    Highest fps 704, 11.56ft/lb
    Lowest fps 698, 11.36ft/lb.

Daystate Kaiser 8.64gn.
    Highest fps 765, 11.23ft/lb.
    Lowest fps 754, 10.91ft/lb.

Only got 61 shots though with the lighter pellets probably because it's using more air to push them?

You can only fill the gun to the working pressure of the bottle. A 200bar bottle will always be a 200bar bottle. Fitting a regulator won't change that.

Did you do a pellet string test before you fitted the regulator?
    If so that will tell you the optimum setting.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Well you don't give the rifle so we have no idea what the fill pressure should be or what the std shot count is
    A Neil says the SWP of the rifle bottle/tube remains what it was, & the reg should also state the SWP

I remain baffled at the fact people insist on throwing away the only real advantage .177 has, in that it shoots a light, & therefore fast & flat pellet,
    & instead chose to shoot heavy pellets, which will of course, also drop the shot count

I have a Lane regulator fitted to a buddy bottle fed Rapid and I asked RL what maximum fill pressure I could use . The answer was 250BAR. Other rifles with less robust air tanks may be different so you should fill to the maximum pressure indicated by the manufacturer of your rifle but the regulator itself should be OK up to 250BAR.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Apologies for not stating the model of rifle, it's an Air Arms S200 which without the regulator would get about 40+ shots but just over 30 were consistent. When I bought the regulator I also bought a quick fill adapter with pressure gauge which goes up to 250bar. I have only been filling to just under 200bar as my 300bar bottle needs refilling so if I fill the cylinder to 200bar I'd get a few more shots. Angrybear you said about using heavy pellets in .177 and getting more shots. I used 3 different pellets with the cylinder filled to the same level and found I actually got less shots with the lightest pellet and I've been told that when using a pcp to use heavier pellets and when using a springer to use lighter pellets.
    Last edited by Speedmaster2; 02-10-2022 at 07:35 PM.

Most of my guns I've always stuck to 190 bar when filling ,

Quote Originally Posted by Speedmaster2 View Post
    Apologies for not stating the model of rifle, it's an Air Arms S200 which without the regulator would get about 40+ shots but just over 30 were consistent. When I bought the regulator I also bought a quick fill adapter with pressure gauge which goes up to 250bar. I have only been filling to just under 200bar as my 300bar bottle needs refilling so if I fill the cylinder to 200bar I'd get a few more shots. Angrybear you said about using heavy pellets in .177 and getting more shots. I used 3 different pellets with the cylinder filled to the same level and found I actually got less shots with the lightest pellet and I've been told that when using a pcp to use heavier pellets and when using a springer to use lighter pellets.
    OK, the PCP-heavy / Springer-light thing, is a general "rule of thumb" that springers prefer lighter pellets, and that with a heavy pellet a PCP will be more efficient than a springer would be.
    That's down to the nature of the power delivery.

It doesn't mean you MUST use a heavy pellet in a PCP

Your results show that the Daystate kaiser, as a particular pellet, is not efficient in your barrel, because it gives less power,
    it doesn't mean that an H&N/Crossman/RWS/JSB/AA etc pellet of the same weight will not be effective.

Also just because the gauge on the QF goes up to 250bar does not automatically mean that you can fill it to 250bar the Safe Working Pressure (SWP) of the rifle air tube, is the same as it was before you fitted it.

As to the question of more shots,
    you have already doubled the count of consistent shots, if you turn down the reg you will get a few more but at lower fps.
    However, if you find a more usual weight of pellet that is efficient in your barrel, that will be a fair bit faster, so will give you a bit of leeway to tinker with pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    OK, the PCP-heavy / Springer-light thing, is a general "rule of thumb" that springers prefer lighter pellets, and that with a heavy pellet a PCP will be more efficient than a springer would be.
    That's down to the nature of the power delivery.

It doesn't mean you MUST use a heavy pellet in a PCP

Your results show that the Daystate kaiser, as a particular pellet, is not efficient in your barrel, because it gives less power,
    it doesn't mean that an H&N/Crossman/RWS/JSB/AA etc pellet of the same weight will not be effective.

Also just because the gauge on the QF goes up to 250bar does not automatically mean that you can fill it to 250bar the Safe Working Pressure (SWP) of the rifle air tube, is the same as it was before you fitted it.

As to the question of more shots,
    you have already doubled the count of consistent shots, if you turn down the reg you will get a few more but at lower fps.
    However, if you find a more usual weight of pellet that is efficient in your barrel, that will be a fair bit faster, so will give you a bit of leeway to tinker with pressure.
    Thanks for the reply and I have checked the cylinder and maximum safe pressure is 200bar so I'll stick to filling it to 190bar. I shot some different pellets through it today, Bisley Magnums, QYS heavy and H&N Field Trophy and the rifle seems to be firing nicely and the Bisley were 11.85ft/lb at the highest fps but the overall average was 11.6ft/lb. QYS were 11.2ft/lb average and the H&N were slightly quicker at 11.35ft/lb on average. I just need to now set up and zero the scope to see which pellet groups best out off what I have in stock and then stick with it.

Lanes Regulator Fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedmaster2 View Post
    That's to set the max power as heavies in pcps & lights in springers usually give the highest power in sub 12ft/lb but not always, i find jsb jumbo's usually give highest power in my .22 pcps' not any heavier ones. The best pellet is without doubt the most accurate legal one at the range you are most shooting though i think.