Thread: Hawke Scope O' Ring.

Hawke Scope O' Ring.

I noticed that on the back of the scope an O ring has perished. Its where you turn the scope to adjust the clarity of vision and then turn the metal ring to tighten up once your found the best clarity. The scope is a Hawke 3-9x40 Sport HD Map and I'm asking if anyone knows what size O ring is fitted on it?

It's called the "ocular lens" & it's purpose is to set the focus of the reticle (cross hair) to your eye, not to focus anything else.

To the best of my knowledge, there shouldn't be an O ring

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    It's called the "ocular lens" & it's purpose is to set the focus of the reticle (cross hair) to your eye, not to focus anything else.

To the best of my knowledge, there shouldn't be an O ring
    Thanks for your reply, there was an O ring on the scope that had perished as I said. Perhaps it's there to keep moisture out? I'll dig the rifle out tomorrow and take a photo of the scope where the O ring is.

Maybe the O ring was there to act as a locking washer ?
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I have a BSA scope with an O ring between the ocular adjustment and the locking ring. I think it is there to keep the inside of the scope sealed from the atmosphere.

If you still have the receipt send Hawke an email and they should sort it out for you. I think they now have a policy to honour their warranty for the scope if purchased new, no matter how the damage is caused. I also think that if the scope isn't a current model and they can't repair it they will replace it with at least a current equivalent model.
    I have just pasted this from their website.

HAWKE NO-FAULT LIFETIME WARRANTY
    We've got you covered… for life.
    When you buy your new Hawke scope or binocular, you're buying peace of mind… for life. In the event your product becomes damaged or defective we'll repair it at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened or whose fault it was - we've got you covered.

The Hawke No Fault Lifetime Warranty is only available directly through our UK service centre.

To request service, please follow our service procedure.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 03-10-2022 at 06:47 AM.

I would have thought any of ring of 1.5mm cross section would suffice, nearest diameter you can guess. It's not holding any pressure.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Thanks for the replies.

Contacted Hawke and they're sending a replacement ocular O ring to me. Cracking service by Hawke and all done in the space of an hour or so via email today.

I'd still love to know what O ring, because none of my hawke scopes have got one

I'd still love to know what O ring, because none of my hawke scopes have got one
    angrybear on the link to a picture I've drawn an arrow pointing to where the ocular O ring fits. It fits under the eyepiece lock ring bud.

https://ibb.co/Vxyg5jw

OK,
    That is not the Ocular ring, the ocular ring is the ridged ring Right at that far end, about 6mm wide, as I said previously you turn it to focus the reticle,
    that type is called a 'fast focus' because it doesn't have a locking ring.

The bit arrowed is not a lock, it's the magnification adjuster ring & the bit behind the mag ring, that gets wider is the scope Ocular bell,

That ocular bell should be fixed to the main tube, sealed & not turn.

I can only assume the O ring you mean is on the rear edge of the mag adjuster ring, I have no idea in the slightest as to how you can change that as it will probably not fit over the bell,
    & removing the bell will shag the scope, best of luck

I'll add if that ocular bell was loose when you bought it, then you were sold a duff scope.
    Last edited by angrybear; 04-10-2022 at 09:42 AM.

OK,
    That is not the Ocular ring, the ocular ring is the ridged ring Right at that far end, about 6mm wide, as I said previously you turn it to focus the reticle,
    that type is called a 'fast focus' because it doesn't have a locking ring.

The bit arrowed is not a lock, it's the magnification adjuster ring & the bit behind the mag ring, that gets wider is the scope Ocular bell,

That ocular bell should be fixed to the main tube, sealed & not turn.

I can only assume the O ring you mean is on the rear edge of the mag adjuster ring, I have no idea in the slightest as to how you can change that as it will probably not fit over the bell,
    & removing the bell will shag the scope, best of luck

I'll add if that ocular bell was loose when you bought it, then you were sold a duff scope.
    The bit I arrowed was to show the approximate area of the locking ring not the magnification ring. I have taken photos of the locking ring on my scope when the O ring fits highlighted by the red arrow. After I have turned the rear of the scope highlighted by the yellow arrow to make the reticle clear I then turn the locking ring so that the rear of the scope then doesn't turn so I don't have to refocus the reticle. There may be a proper terminology for the locking ring?
    Also the scope came with a rifle I bought and didn't cost anything and I've had it a couple of years but just lately the O ring has worn and its not loose.
    https://ibb.co/6DTB2rw

Blimy that's a proper vintage version, must be 20 odd years old, that's lasted well,
    completely different build & focus system to the scope in your first pic.

Yes, on those old ones, the whole ocular bell moves on a thread to focus & is then secured with a locking ring, but pre-dates any info I've got.

Blimy that's a proper vintage version, must be 20 odd years old, that's lasted well,
    completely different build & focus system to the scope in your first pic.

Yes, on those old ones, the whole ocular bell moves on a thread to focus & is then secured with a locking ring, but pre-dates any info I've got.
    It has lasted well and too be fair it's a nice scope to look through. When I get the O ring to replace the one that's perished I'll be quite happy to keep using it.