Thread: A couple of quick questions please

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

A couple of quick questions please

Tomorrow I pick up my model 29 and the delivery of powder, caps and mould are due. I have two probably daft questions:

1: I am using a Lee round nose 240grn bullet, I am going for a soft firing .44 special but can find no data on the vectan site for this bullet.

1a) Can I use the data for another 240grn bullet (jacketed soft point)
    1b) in a magnum rather than special case

2: The figure given for the starting load with the jacketed is around 250 ft-lb. Does that mean it gives the same recoil as a similar power .38 special, albeit with a heavier pistol?

I hope those make sense

What particular type of Vectan are you going to use.

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    What particular type of Vectan are you going to use.

Ba9, it's the only powder listed for all the calibres I reload: 9mm, .38sp, .357 magnum, .44sp and .44 magnum

I just checked my old vectan manual and BA9 isnt listed for 44 special in there either.
    If I was you, I would buy a tub of BA10 and use that for your powder puff loads.
    In pistol days it was a go to powder for 38 special/44 special, 45acp and 45colt for target loads.
    BA9 is more for mild magnum loads.
    I still use both. Excellent powders.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Tomorrow I pick up my model 29 and the delivery of powder, caps and mould are due. I have two probably daft questions:

1: I am using a Lee round nose 240grn bullet, I am going for a soft firing .44 special but can find no data on the vectan site for this bullet.

1a) Can I use the data for another 240grn bullet (jacketed soft point)
    1b) in a magnum rather than special case

2: The figure given for the starting load with the jacketed is around 250 ft-lb. Does that mean it gives the same recoil as a similar power .38 special, albeit with a heavier pistol?

I hope those make sense
    Yes you can use the data for the lead bullet
    By using the magnum cases you will get lower pressure & velocity because of the larger case volume
    I would suggest starting at the min recommend powder and go up in .5 increments up to the max for the listed 44sp (which is quite a bit lower than the min load for 44mag)
    You should be looking for acceptable recoil and accuracy of groups (so don’t ‘bother’about ft-lb energy).
    The use of jacketed rounds would minimise lead fouling but for target loads all lead will be fine .
    Hope this helps

Thank you all!

I've picked the gun up and am currently giving it a rub while I wait for the powder etc to arrive.
    I bought 100 factory magnums which are totally unnecessary for me, but I will use one box for the cases, and the other for friends to use. The online vectan data shows Ba9 from 4.9 all the way to 11.5grns, so I will start low and work my way up. I've bought a 2kg tub so would rather not buy any more just yet.

My only problem now is these factory loads are a bit much for my home range, I'll have to wait til I get to the one in town before I can get some empties

The lead bullet will probably give lower pressure and maybe higher velocity than jacketed. You may need to up the minimum load in a magnum case to make them consistent.

I made boolits! I've only loaded a few with 4.9grn to use in my indoor home range, but omg! What a lovely gun!?

The recoil is there, but pushy not snappy, a real joy to shoot.

Thursday I can stretch it's legs and see what's what, but when I went back to the .357 it was kind of "Aw, aren't they sweet" kinda like .177