Thread: Shot a FWB sport 127 earlier.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Shot a FWB sport 127 earlier.

Hi all, I saw a FWB sport at Knibbs today and asked to have a few shots, to be honest the external build quality looked good but what a disappointment on firing, the stock didn't fit me very well but the trigger was awful (even the triggers on my Mercs are better), couldn't tell when it was going to go off and when it did the resulting twang was teeth shattering, I can understand why HW dominated the sales charts, I'm just glad it wasn't one of those "meet your hero" rifles as I would have been upset and I'm not downing it because its German either.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thumbs up

My 124 is OK.......never going to be an 80 beater due to the weight difference
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    My 124 is OK.......never going to be an 80 beater due to the weight difference
    The trouble is, it only takes one rifle that hasn't been looked after and it can put you off that rifle for life, I expect had it had had some sort of tuning then it may have softened the blow a bit but I expected more, you can't tell what someone has done to the inside of a rifle from new, so may have been far better out if the box.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

If the piston head hasn't been replaced it will be cheese by now, and be rough as heck.

A well serviced FWB Sport should sound and feel like most well put together springers. Polished and tuned then very nice. They have barrels that will put pellet on pellet, the rest is getting a shooting technique to match them.
    The FWB Sports stock is, like most stocks, set up for iron sights. Any scope needs to be fitted quite low, and not some big lump of a scope either.
    Yes, the triggers are squidgy, but you get used to them.

Sports are best shot sporting style which is smooth and fast. Shoot them slow deliberate, target style, and they will be a disappointment. The style difference is a bit like shooting a 20b featherweight game gun and a heavy deliberate trap gun.
    Whatever, works for you, though a couple of shots in a shop will never tell the whole story. Same goes for peering through scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    If the piston head hasn't been replaced it will be cheese by now, and be rough as heck.

A well serviced FWB Sport should sound and feel like most well put together springers. Polished and tuned then very nice. They have barrels that will put pellet on pellet, the rest is getting a shooting technique to match them.
    The FWB Sports stock is, like most stocks, set up for iron sights. Any scope needs to be fitted quite low, and not some big lump of a scope either.
    Yes, the triggers are squidgy, but you get used to them.

Sports are best shot sporting style which is smooth and fast. Shoot them slow deliberate, target style, and they will be a disappointment. The style difference is a bit like shooting a 20b featherweight game gun and a heavy deliberate trap gun.
    Whatever, works for you, though a couple of shots in a shop will never tell the whole story. Same goes for peering through scopes.
    That’s my experience. A Sport in good nick is a great rifle.

I bought my current 124 a few years ago and invested in a Maccari trigger which cost about £100 with taxes (about the same price as the complete gun when new in 1979) and was worried that it wouldn't make much of a difference. It did and now has a nice crisp let off (ok, it's not a Rekord but it's good enough for me) plus the safety has been spot on since. The gun now behaves really well with the V-Mach kit which I also fitted.
    I bought it out of nostalgia and spent a lot more on it than I'd ever recuperate if I decided to sell it but I don't think I ever will.
    I also have one of the new Sports and it doesn't shoot as quietly as the original but my goodness it's accurate with Exacts 8.44 in 4.50.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 15-10-2022 at 06:27 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    and there's a fairly easy mod to get a true 2 stage trigger, which will of course be very predicatable

If it's that rough, I'd say it needs resealing..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Shot a FWB sport 127 earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I bought my current 124 a few years ago and invested in a Maccari trigger which cost about £100 with taxes (about the same price as the complete gun when new in 1979) and was worried that it wouldn't make much of a difference. It did and now has a nice crisp let off (ok, it's not a Rekord but it's good enough for me) plus the safety has been spot on since. The gun now behaves really well with the V-Mach kit which I also fitted.
    I bought it out of nostalgia and spent a lot more on it than I'd ever recuperate if I decided to sell it but I don't think I ever will.
    I also have one of the new Sports and it doesn't shoot as quietly as the original but my goodness it's accurate with Exacts 8.44 in 4.50.
    I gave £100 & an AAs410 stock for my 124,(about ten years ago) came already fitted with a maccarri mongoose kit & shot cycle was superb. Just a dull thunk & that was without a fitted guide, but the trigger i could never quite get on with, i agree with the OP my merc challenger has a much more predictable trigger, however i had a good few more guns at the time & when i did have time to use the 124 the more i used it for standing quick shots it was deadly accurate with any decent pellet, still regret parting with it apparently there is a mod some have done to the mk 2 ali trigger that mine had that makes it as good as a maccarri trigger.