Thread: Fitting No.8 Peep Sight To Improved Model D - Any Factory Fitted Ones Out There ?

Fitting No.8 Peep Sight To Improved Model D - Any Factory Fitted Ones Out There ?

I'm not really one for retro fitting stuff to original rifles, but my eye sight is going a bit and I would like to fit a no.8 sight to an Bsa Improved model D. Has anyone got a close up pic of a factory fitted one, so it is as original as possible ? Straight or pistol grip stock. I was hoping to use the proper mounting base so it is detachable. Many Thanks
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

My eyes were also in need of some help, so I fitted a BSA No8 sight to the BSA Light Pattern pictured below. It's much easier to fit one of these to the Straight Hand Stock with little need to modify the stock except possibly inset the base. This would probably be a good idea as the gun still groups slightly high with the sight fitted as low as possible on the stock. There is a version of the N0 8 sight fitted with an extra short stem but these are almost impossible to find with the much more common short stem being quite easy to source. I also removed and blanked the standard rear sight to avoid interference with the sight picture and fitted a PH foresight globe with interchangeable elements. This means I can use a blade element with a 6 O'clock sight picture as the ring elements would result in a high group on the target. The Pistol Grip Stock requires considerable wood removal from the stock and more careful fitting to correctly align the sight which was something I was reluctant to undertake myself.
    I also have an original mounting plate, but there is no evidence of them ever being recommended by BSA for fitting to air rifles and they are extremely hard to find, so probably not a worthwhile option.

The sight has made shooting the rifle at 20yds much easier with the optional adjustable six iris eyepiece making things even easier when indoor lighting conditions are a necessity.

BSA Light Pattern with NO 8 sight.

BSA No 8 mounting plate.

Brian

Thank you Abas Major. It was stuff like positioning so it would zero correctly I was interested in. Clever trick using the velcro. I do have a base fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Thank you Abas Major. It was stuff like positioning so it would zero correctly I was interested in. Clever trick using the velcro. I do have a base fortunately.
    You could take a look at Danny's Vintage Airgun Gallery where there will probably be some pictures and resources to help with your project.
    Brian

Hi,

this has come up a few times, this is how I did it:

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...mp-no19-sights

In the end there was something about it I didn't get on with (maybe it interfered with hand position?) I eventually fitted a no.22 which is quite good: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7v3vnwhdmb/

I'm sure someone mentioned the mounting plate is for a bullet rifle and the alignment of the holes meant the screws would hit the stock bolt on an LP/Standard air rifle.

There are some good pics of the factory cut out somewhere out there.

Cheers,
    Matt

Thank you for all the useful pics. Some ingenuity there. The stem on my no.8 is longer, so I was hoping to attach it directly to the stock without the need to make a base section out of wood or expoxy. Whilst a very well engineered sight, I don't think the no.8 was really intended for air rifles, more for fitting snuggly at the back of a Martini action. Think I will continue my fruitless quest for a 21a sight for a little longer