Thread: Benjamin Pistol Mdl 112 Repair help

Benjamin Pistol Mdl 112 Repair help

Hello Airgun Guru's:
    I am interested in getting my Dad's subject air pistol working again. It has some missing and damaged parts.
    My searches of the archives resulted in some good info. but didn't answer my questions.
    1. the front sight has 4 screws in it (see pic), the parts diagram i have shows a front sight with 2 screws--was there a break in serial nos in which the front sight went from 4 to 2 screws? and where can i get a parts diagram that shows the part number for the 4 screw front sight?
    2. It appears that the front sight is the piece that contains the fulcrum pin for the pump lever--that is broken on mine and i need a replacement. Is that going to be available? It is quite disheartening to see there are so many pot metal parts on this thing.

I see a picture can be inserted but requires a URL, can someone point me how/where to place my pics so i can insert them here?
    I did a search on "how to insert pictures" in the FAQ section- but no luck.

Thanks,
    Dennis

Benjamin spares

Quote Originally Posted by pagedw View Post
    Hello Airgun Guru's:
    I am interested in getting my Dad's subject air pistol working again. It has some missing and damaged parts.
    My searches of the archives resulted in some good info. but didn't answer my questions.
    1. the front sight has 4 screws in it (see pic), the parts diagram i have shows a front sight with 2 screws--was there a break in serial nos in which the front sight went from 4 to 2 screws? and where can i get a parts diagram that shows the part number for the 4 screw front sight?
    2. It appears that the front sight is the piece that contains the fulcrum pin for the pump lever--that is broken on mine and i need a replacement. Is that going to be available? It is quite disheartening to see there are so many pot metal parts on this thing.

I see a picture can be inserted but requires a URL, can someone point me how/where to place my pics so i can insert them here?
    I did a search on "how to insert pictures" in the FAQ section- but no luck.

Thanks,
    Dennis
    Hi Dennis,

The most likely place to get spares for your pistol is J G Airguns, in the USA,

All the best,

Lawrie.

Benjamin spares

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie Amatruda View Post
    Hi Dennis,

The most likely place to get spares for your pistol is J G Airguns, in the USA,

All the best,

Lawrie.
    Thanks Lawrie.
    Checked their website for the most critical part i currently don't have 1126(the front sight that contains the pump lever pivot pin-which is broken)- not available.
    I have searched quite a few places w/ no luck. Any other vendor suggestions?
    Thanks,
    pagedw

Dennis, if your Las Cruces location is in the USA, you may have two choices for replacing the frequently-broken muzzle plug:

John Groenewold at jgairguns.biz has the 4-screw version repro'd in brass.

Mike Baker at: peter_built78@hotmail.com phone 503-706-9512 had some made up not long ago at a good bit lower price as I recall - there was a discussion on one of the U.S. forums but I can't readily find it back.

Both of these gents have other Benji parts as well. It appears the muzzle plug number 1124 didn't change when they went to the 4-screw version, but they'll immediately know what you're looking for by description "4-screw muzzle plug for a Benji 112" - the original zinc part is so often broken that it's a familiar need. If you plan replace internal seals, you'll also need the 'special tool' to remove the valve nut and extract the valve body.

Don R.

Don R.,
    Very helpful info. --thanks so much!
    The first ref.to JRAirguns.biz just sent me an email:
    "I'm sorry, none of my records show a 4 hole sight.

Thank you.
    Heather"

Unless maybe she doesn't know what John Groenewold does??

will contact Mike Baker to see what he has.
    The more i learn about this air pistol's construction, the more i have misgivings about fixing it: pot metal components, soft solder assembly, difficulty of obtaining parts.
    The only reason i will go forward is because it was my dad's and there is a huge amount of sentimental value to it, and it would be great to purge pests from my orchard.

Thanks very much Don!!

dennis

Heather is John's daughter who I think does much of the online stuff. If you asked about a front sight, her response is correct - there's no such thing as a 4-hole sight. If you asked about a muzzle plug, she was wrong. If you were to go check on their website, you would find this:
    https://www.jgairguns.biz/110-112-11...ug-p-8511.html

As I mentioned above, if Mike Baker still has some left, his repro muzzle plugs were something like $40 as I recall. He also has a boatload of other Benji parts, almost certainly including the pivot pin.

If you do get the 112 working, it's normal practice for guys who have them to push the pump rod against a hard surface while closing the pump lever, to reduce strain on the muzzle plug & lever. This 'transitional' or 'grasshopper' design was not the smartest approach, and was later replaced with a typical fully swing-pump lever design in the model 132.

Don R.

Once again great info.
    Mike Baker fixed me up for $35 on the muzzle plug.
    I just sent him the 112 because it needed a seal kit. I was impressed w/ his prices, him and his friendly manner and help.
    Seemed to know his stuff and relatively close to me.

A friend of mine was over when i was trying to find parts for the 112 and he loved the old pistol and said if i ever want to sell it let him know.
    I was at the same time i was watching a 132 and 137 on , reading about the various models from 112 - 137 and had come to the conclusion they were a much better design, which you and others have confirmed.
    I decided to bid on the 132 since it was the caliber i wanted and ended up winning. The plan was to give it to my friend as a thank you for all the help he has given me.
    Will really enjoy seeing his face when i present it to him as a surprise.

Thanks for all your help Don. Mike Baker is a gold mine, IMO.

Dennis