Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope mounted lamp Recommendations

Scope mounted lamp Recommendations

Hi all,

After being away from the hobby, would anyone be able to recommend a good scope mounted lamp mainly for pest control ie rats? use to use a Deben Tracer but don’t think their still going?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gareth-11 View Post
    Hi all,

After being away from the hobby, would anyone be able to recommend a good scope mounted lamp mainly for pest control ie rats? use to use a Deben Tracer but don’t think their still going?

Thanks
    What about one of those cheap night vision kits which you fix to your scope, Small led screen which also sits on the scope, I find them great for the price,

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    What about one of those cheap night vision kits which you fix to your scope, Small led screen which also sits on the scope, I find them great for the price,
    Thanks do you have a link or a make to look for. The last time I looked at them it was only gen 1 and gen 2 that you could buy.

Thanks

Thanks do you have a link or a make to look for. The last time I looked at them it was only gen 1 and gen 2 that you could buy.

Thanks
    Lots make them as DIY, I've seen them for around £50 second hand , Try on the auction site, Hey these are cheap and basic but work well and very cheap compared now go the newer thermal stuff, For the price you cant go wrong, Well worth as a starting point , I'll try and find a link ,

That one didnt work,I'll try another now,

Chuck this in Google, Night Vision Add On NV Kit , with battery, fits onto your scope, warranty incl
    It will then take you to he auction site , But lots of places did sell these , Ask about on here , Most have upgraded , Should be loads about and cheap enough,

Torch wise there are loads of LED that will shine further than you are likely to shoot. Price wise under £50.
    Few people bother with a torch as the new wave of Digital IR systems blow the white light torches of old out of the water.
    Read up on the Pard systems to understand what is available. But basically there are Add-Ons and Dedicated. The former require a scope that can parallax down to 15m or so. Dedicated are a scope and night vision all in one. Digi relies on Infra Red from an IR torch or laser. Many systems have one included. £150 to £900 the latter will come with a laser range finder that is very useful.

Things have move on quite a bit. Its a lot more fun too, as even the basic kit see a whole lot more.
    Last edited by Muskett; 09-10-2022 at 12:01 PM.

i still use the old white torch i have

I have few old deben lamp kits I also have diy nv kit
    I can send you some photos if your interested?

I would if doing the traditional Lamping from truck at speed. It was effective in the past and still is.

Lamping was either done with shotgun or .22LR. The former the vehicle rarely stopped, the latter it does for the shot with rifle. Rabbit natural flight distance is at best 35m over areas that are not shot over too often. On heavily shot over land it can be as high as 65m, or any vehicle with a light entering a field. Sure some rabbits will stick and try to hide, but more heavily shot over the land less if any do. Some has to do with conditions on the night.
    Those distances make the .22LR or .17 HMR the rifles of choice. Air Rifles with their need for pin point pellet placement aren't the right tool really.

Which brings us back to Night Vision. For Rat and Rabbit then the Digital Systems, with some basic field craft, have the quarry in range for Air Rifles.
    The Pard 008LRF dedicated unit can locate, can range find precisely, and gives a good sight picture. All things that are necessary for successful and humane hunting with an Air Rifle. They work for .22LR, .17HMR, and fullbore too. The technology is real progress, and highly effective.
    Best bit is the investment isn't that huge unless entering Thermal territory which is another game changer too.

Less expensive NV Digital units are available and pretty great, if a few less features. Those without a Range Finder then its best to know your ground and ranges as at night range-finding is even more difficult than in day.
    Plenty of information out there to what is good and what isn't quite so groovy. The Pards have set the standards and what the competition is compared to. What is best this week gets a lot of debate, though most of the better stuff released over the last few years is all pretty useful. There has been a lot sold, so second hand gives a good saving, but stick to the better known performers as there are a few not so great also runs out there. The better kit, old or new, is very good.

Hi all,

Thanks
    You can now get Night vision scope add-ons so cheap I wouldn't bother with a white torch.
    Look on the bay for Pard007/Sytong ht-66/Westhunter/NVS30, to see what they look like
    You can get look through or screen type & they have ir built in, 100+yds range.

These are great for the money rats-rabbits no probs https://www./itm/195293963194?hash=i...Bk9SR4TLpeD3YA

https://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/prodd...hp?prod=GL2820

I use torches a fair bit, despite having a Yukon and Pard .....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34