Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro-hunter slugs .22 17.8gn

Pro-hunter slugs .22 17.8gn

Just wondered if anyone had tried the above in sub 12 yet ?

I've just received a tin of 100, not cheap at £21, but the lightest slugs I've seen, so worth a try.

Weather has been too poor to test them, but certainly they look superb,
    even under a magnifying glass the finish is exceptional & the weight spot on, all 100 within 0.3gn, 17.6-17.9gn.

Just hope the accuracy matches the quality.

What are you planning to hunt or shoot with them? At 12ftlbs they aren't going to be any better than a 18g jsb. Polymag aren't bad. But rws hobby are excellent aswell

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    At 12ftlbs they aren't going to be any better than a 18g jsb.
    maybe, maybe not. their ballistic coefficient is much better, but conversely, they are likely to make less at the muzzle.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    maybe, maybe not. their ballistic coefficient is much better, but conversely, they are likely to make less at the muzzle.
    It depends on how tight they are in barrel. Being slugs they usually have a larger bearing surface on barrel. Granted these are fairly light weight. As you say, at the muzzle they may or may not be faster than a diabolo pellet. My fac 25 does 52ftlbs with pellets 40ftlbs with fx hybrid slugs. There too tight. But very accurate.

All barrels are different, the FX hybrid .25 were pretty damn poor in my FAC.

In my .22 the standard JSB Exact jumbo 16gn is very good but the Express & RS less so, the heavy 18gn & monster 25gn are frankly cr*p.

But regardless of that, My question was "Has anyone tried the pro-hunter slug ?"
    I wasn't asking for a debate on the best .22pellet

not tried in .22, but I did try them in .177 and they were decent - not quite as good as JSB pellets, and the improved BC was outeighed by the lower ME, but it was all very close.. but no cigar. Be good to know how you get on with these in .22
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Let us know how they perform in sub 12ftlbs. You might be only one who has them.

Reviewed in the airgun review section.

Will get a look. Thanks Keith

I can't find this review🧐

Seems reviews have to be approved by a mod, before they show, I'm sure it won't be long.

I find it difficult to understand why any shooters should regard these as worth using at 12 ft lb. At 21p a shot compared with say 3p a shot for quality diabolo pellets I really just don't get it.
    At FAC power levels the direct comparison with quality-but not 'match'- rounds at say 10p a shot makes me wonder again.
    Still each to his/her own but I'll stick with my 25.4 grain JSB in .25 and 15.9 grain JSB in .22 and save myself some cash.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

They do seem expensive. Atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I find it difficult to understand why any shooters should regard these as worth using at 12 ft lb. At 21p a shot compared with say 3p a shot for quality diabolo pellets I really just don't get it.
    At FAC power levels the direct comparison with quality-but not 'match'- rounds at say 10p a shot makes me wonder again.
    Still each to his/her own but I'll stick with my 25.4 grain JSB in .25 and 15.9 grain JSB in .22 and save myself some cash.
    A 5p group at 42yds in a gusting wind, compared to 1.5" for JSB's would be all I can think of,

But then it's like asking why would someone pay £5K for a rolex when a £50 citizen tells the same time

Incidentally I use the same pellets as you.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    A 5p group at 42yds in a gusting wind, compared to 1.5" for JSB's would be all I can think of,
    and that's exactly what I was looking for when I tested the .177s - it's about the ballistic advantage.

trajectory (especially with .177 at hunting ranges) is easy enough to manage, but wind is a whole other ball game...