Thread: Pro Sport cocking arm / pivot block wear

Pro Sport cocking arm / pivot block wear

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice regarding the above. My dad recently gave me his Pro Sport as he’s given up shooting due to his health, he’s shot it a bit over the years, so I’ve already changed seals, new spring and tbt guides.

The problem is that the part of the cocking arm which houses the pin securing it to the pivot block appears to be worn. This pin works it’s way out over time, and results in the arm eventually contacting the inside of the channel in the stock. I’m thinking it’s the arm rather than the pivot block as there is play on the arm, but the pin stays still when the arm is wiggled.

So do you reckon I just need a new cocking arm, and if so, is it just a case of drifting the pins out with a punch to remove the current arm?

I’m no engineer, but there seems to have been some funny design decisions made with the whole cocking system… great rifle to shoot though! Just want to make sure it’s right.

Photo: https://imgur.com/a/Psob4bG

Cheers
    Steve

Pro Sport cocking arm / pivot block wear

Using aluminium? weight saving I suppose,you could put a metal shim there,a hw99 barrel shim maybe?

Will have a look at ours when I get home on Sunday.

Will have a look at ours when I get home on Sunday. Seem to remember a grub screw holds the pin so may be loose/missing

Looks like the cockibg lever is bushed where the pivot pin goes through. Might just need a new pin or bushes. Lever should be ok looking at the pic.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Thanks for the replies everyone, shimming might help reduce the play but I’m convinced there is something that has worn into an ovoid shape causing the side to side play. I’ll have to take a look at removing the arm and inspecting the pin and bushings further.

I can’t see a grub screw on the exploded diagram, so not sure it’s that, I think it is just working loose because of the wear.

Reason I think there’s some odd choices - that one small bolt securing the cocking linkage to the compression tube assembly - this one was serviced at AA a fair few years back, and it looks like they have used permanent threadlocker to hold it making the rifle very awkward to strip. Apparently that’s because they are known to work loose otherwise. Plus the wear on the cocking mechanism which (to my untrained eye at least) seems in part down to the mix of steel and aluminium parts. I get the weight saving though as it’s already a beast, maybe a few extra lbs would be a worthwhile trade-off for a more durable mechanism? My 95 of similar vintage still feels like new despite having more use over the years.

Don’t get me wrong, the PS is a great shooter and aesthetically one of the nicest springers out there, just seems like there may have been some compromises made to achieve the hidden underlever.